cutting a stainless steel shelf

BosCitySeptember 17, 2013

I'm buying this shelf and will need to cut the 24" length down to about 20". After searching these archives and the 'net, it seems I should make this cut with my angle grinder and a cut-off wheel. I'm planning to put some cardboard over the shelf pieces, then maybe a thin piece of wood, then clamp it down. I should add that there is a bracket and a separate shelf that fits onto the bracket.

I don't need a perfect cut since the cut edge of the shelf will be in a corner, but I'd prefer it look decent. Plus, from the look of this product, I will need the shelf and bracket to stay fairly straight so they can be joined.

Will I be able to get a neat cut? Or will it warp and bend?

Thank you very much.

ps- I need the shelf to be approx 4" wide. If anyone knows where I can buy a 20" one, that would be great, but I've looked to no avail.

Go to this link, then see "Gallery Ledge 4x24"

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/7170004/?utm_campaign=venpopîistryId=2604309&fromrgl=1&utm_source=web&utm_medium=wishpot

Here is a link that might be useful: Gallery_Shelf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BosCity

To add a bit, doing more research, I've seen that there may be jig saw blades that would do this job better than a grinder.

I'll appreciate your suggestions and experience.

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 2:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
EvilChuckie

go with the angle grinder, and use a thin 1mm cut off wheel, (they are designed to cut Stainless) an do a great job, and because they are so thin produce nearly no heat and no warpage, I use them all the time,
P.S go for the "Name Brand" as they last so much longer than cheaper ones
CHeers EC

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 10:55PM
More Discussions
Working with metal is fun!
I want to encourage people taking on jobs or trades...
Konrad___far_north
Bumper or pad for Gate Slamming?
Hi, I have a metal gate that has closed/slammed so...
akarinz
Help - Cast Aluminum furniture cracks (Pic)
Hi, (Cross posted originally on decor forum and posting...
homey_bird
soldering copper gutters
how diy-able is it to solder a copper lap joint? I...
kitchenquest
metal lathe advice
I am hoping to be able to machine a few small aluminum...
mn1247
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™