Rust on Metal Roof

shw001September 21, 2005

I have a 55-year old terne metal flat roof that has some rust spots, totaling about 10 square feet out of 300 square feet. It has been coated every few years with a fiber-aluminum-asphalt paint that leaves a shiny gray finish. How would you treat these rust spots prior to repainting with the same fibered-aluminum paint? (I believe terne is steel coated with a lead/tin alloy)

I came across a product called "Rust Bullet" that claims to convert the rust to a hard inert substance that could then be painted. Does anyone have any experience with this product? Here is their URL

http://www.rustbullet.com/productcart/pc/viewCart.asp

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shw001

I came across another rust treating product called Rustoleum Rust Reformer. It comes as a liquid that you brush on or as an aerosol. Anyone have any experience with this product? It sounds like it does the same thing as Rust Bullet, but I cannot tell wheter it is the same chemical or not.

Thanks.

Bookmark   September 22, 2005 at 9:03AM
spambdamn_rich

You might also try Rustoleum Red Primer - the one with fish oil in it. I would let it weather for a season before giving it a top coat, though, and I don't know how well it might adhere to intact terne plating. I used some on my galvanized shop roof last fall, I'm going to check on it this weekend and see if it looks ready to paint with an aluminum top coat.

I would clean everything up, get any oil/grease off the intact terne.

Bookmark   September 30, 2005 at 12:30AM
mowerman42

I`ve used a product that called oxisolve, it works good you spray it on an let it sit. This stuff is safe and easy to use. One gallon with last a long time it`s on the expensive side around $30.00 for a gallon. But it looks like this is getting to be a yearly repair. they have new products for treating rusty surfaces, but this is the only one I`ve used. This is what the web site says about this rust remover

This specially formulated Rust Remover is a powerful, rust-fighting liquid created to meet the needs of auto restorers. It reaches even inaccessible areas, quickly dissolving iron oxide completely and leaving a zinc phosphate coating. Rust Remover can be sprayed, brushed, or used as a parts dip. It is non-toxic, non-flammable and reusable.

I just used it to remove rust from a expensive commercial lawn mower deck, It`s treated now and just needs paint.Nice and smooth surface all the heavy rust deposits are gone.I also used it the treat a running board from my wifes grandfather model TT ford truck that was rusting away. It`s now painted satin black with wrought iron shelf brackets she uses it for her angel collection, looks nice on a wood paneled wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eastwood

Bookmark   November 13, 2005 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
change bolt lock on inside of door but not out?historical sort of
Hi. We bought an old house and are changing all of...
Bridget Helm
copper roof - caulked seams instead of solder???
We recently installed a small copper roof over a porch...
alice462
Yard Art
I don't like to toot my own horn. Just wanted to post...
mla2ofus
soldering copper gutters
how diy-able is it to solder a copper lap joint? I...
kitchenquest
metal lathe advice
I am hoping to be able to machine a few small aluminum...
mn1247
Sponsored Products
Zaneen | Glim Ceiling Light
$526.40 | YLighting
Scatter Giclee 7 1/2" Wide Brushed Steel Mini Pendant
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
A Wild Time Wall Clock by David Scherer
$210.95 | Bellacor
Vent-Bettina Ceiling Fan by Matthews Fans
$1,573.20 | Lumens
Liberty Furniture Southern Pines Sleigh Bed & Dresser & Mirror in Bark Finish
Beyond Stores