using copper sheeting for a shower surround...

LaurenrsJuly 5, 2005

Hi,

I am new to your forum and have a question to pose to all of you about using copper sheet metal.

I want to redo an existing tub and shower in an old 1975 mobil home. It currently has 3 old pieces of what looks sort of like an early version of formica. It is held in place with several pieces of chrome or aluminum and screws.

The plan is to remove the screws and metal holding them in place and replacing or just laying a piece of copper sheet metal on top of it around the top part above the tub where the older formica is now. Then replace the metal and screw it down. Add some silicone on the edges and wah la!

Now the problem.... Copper tarnishes and green stuff appears. I want to know what can I put or spray onto the metal to keep it from doing this.

I personally love the old petina look. However this is for a rental and I am affraid that not everyone has my taste. Also, the green can rub off onto someone just coming out of the shower nice and clean.

So what spray or laquer can I put on it to keep it looking shinny?

Many thanks in advance...

Laurenrs : 0)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spambdamn_rich

I don't think you'll find anything you can apply on your own that will keep the copper from tarnishing for long - espeically in a hot, wet, soapy environment like a shower.

If you're set on using metal, stainless steel (304 or better) would probably works best.

Bookmark   July 7, 2005 at 4:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
faxmfgco

Hi Copper and hot soap water are a bad combination, I think you will spend a lot of time cleaning GREEN off of it. Might try a good quality clear spray coating. Spray both sides with 2 or 3 coats following instructions for recoat times.
Good luck :-)

Bob

Bookmark   July 23, 2005 at 3:07PM
More Discussions
copper roof - caulked seams instead of solder???
We recently installed a small copper roof over a porch...
alice462
Copper kitchen table?
We're remodeling our kitchen and my wife is interested...
craig00
metal compatibility
I have a built in gutter on my gable roof. The gutter...
dustynight
Copper bar top
I'm planning to use copper sheeting to finish my basement...
jedijoe1
Problem with SCALANCE X101-1 and Cisco Switch ?
I really don't know what do this happen when i try...
Jasmine01
Sponsored Products
MaxLite MLRP24E4535SMB LED Round Pendant, 3500K
EnvironmentalLights.com
Blue Daisy Canopy
Overstock.com
Marion Flip Up Grab Bar with Stainless Accent - Off-White
Signature Hardware
Leucos | Air 45 Ceiling Wall Light
$810.00 | YLighting
Petit Crystal Deluxe Gold Nine-Light Clear Gemcut Flush Mount Light, 18W x 10H x
Bellacor
San Chias Rust Giclee Set of Four Shades 3x6x5 (Clip-On)
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
WAC 720 L White Track Head for Lightolier
Euro Style Lighting
006 Double Wall Sconce by FontanaArte
$670.50 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™