touch painting on wrought iron furniture.

CaroleOHJuly 26, 2005

I contacted the manufacturer of my patio set for some touch up paint. They sent me two cans - one is a base brown color and the second is a highlight color that sortof adds tiny orange bits to the paint.

There were no instructions with the spray cans. I want to touch up areas that have rusted. How best to do this? I'm thinking I need to scrape the rust off with a metal brush and then prime with a rust inhibitor or just go ahead and paint with the spray paint they sent?

Thanks for your help. Want to make sure I do this right!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Sorry that you have not had a more prompt reply Carole, you may have already done your painting. Yeah, I would brush or sand the rust off, rustoleum puts out some good rust inhibiting paints and primers and you can find it at most big box stores. Do that, let it dry then spray your metal flake or what ever matches your original paint. Make it several light coats rather than trying to cover it all at once, that will help keep it from building up an running.
Bill P.

    Bookmark   August 18, 2005 at 12:01AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
metal compatibility
I have a built in gutter on my gable roof. The gutter...
change bolt lock on inside of door but not out?historical sort of
Hi. We bought an old house and are changing all of...
Bridget Helm
Yard Art
I don't like to toot my own horn. Just wanted to post...
Metal/Iron Stair rail
I moved into a house last year. It is a tri-level home....
Working with metal is fun!
I want to encourage people taking on jobs or trades...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™