Trying to configure an aluminum cantilevered balcony.

caribbeancupcakeJuly 15, 2006

We are building a home on a hillside. The lower level has an apartment with two french doors off the great room which opens to the water view. Before the house was built and going by the architectural drawings it appeared that those doors would open to a ground level deck or patio. Now that the house is all poured in reality those doors open to a drop of about 20 to 30 feet. We would like to put cantilevered balcony along the front of the two doors. The length of the balcony would be about 26 feet and the depth from the house 3 1/2 feet. This would be enough for the french doors to open completely. The supports would be fastened to the concrete wall. How many supports would be needed for this expanse. Could the floor of the balcony support the same marble we have inside. Is there plans available for this or a site we can reference. A search of the forums didn't result in much information. Thanks in advance.

AJ

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

You will need an engineer and PE stamp for this one.
Even the type of concrete (PSI rating) matters for this kind of thing.

Bookmark   July 16, 2006 at 11:13AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fixizin

Damned architects and their pretty watercolor drawings that are PURE FANTASY! A 20-30' drop is QUITE A BIT DIFFERENT than level-with-grade, eh? The basitiges!... lol.

As brickeyee says, this is not like installing some pulldown attic stairs from the home improv store. Sounds like your architect OWES YOU BIG TIME... make him do it, pull the permits, everything.

PS: How did you even get a certificate of occupancy (CO) with doors that open to a fatal fall?? I like cursing architects... let's do it AGAIN! ;')

Bookmark   August 20, 2006 at 3:29AM
More Discussions
Copper bar top
I'm planning to use copper sheeting to finish my basement...
jedijoe1
Hot patina techniques for copper countertop
Hello there, I have my heart set on a copper countertop...
adriennepratt
Copper sinks dont drain
I have a under mount copper sink installed in a granite...
eltrecero
Place in SF Bay Area to get a metal railing made?
Looking for a recommendation for a metal shop in SF...
chaus7
HELP!! Patina off copper sink!
I love my copper sink with its dark patina but there...
bichonlover3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™