Oil Rubbed Bronze 'Living Finish' Question

mydreamhomeJuly 4, 2011

Hi Everyone! I'm new to this forum--I usually hang out in the Building a Home & Kitchen forums--and I hope some of you may be able to help me out. I am building a house and found beautiful hardware for my doors. They are solid forged brass with a Distressed Venetian or Oil Rubbed Bronze "Open" finish in a lever style. My parents have a similar finish in their house--Baldwin ORB egg shaped knobs and after 5 years the doors that are used the most are completely stripped of the finish. This is something we do not want to happen. So my question is this:

Is there any way to keep the finish looking like new & protect it from wearing off revealing the shiny brass underneath?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irishchain

You can get Baldwin brand oil rubbed bronze hardware that is not the living finish. I did not know about "living finish" problem until I started doing research. I certainly don't want the finish to wear off after having spent all that money on the fixtures!

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 9:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DeekElroy

"Is there any way to keep the finish looking like new & protect it from wearing off revealing the shiny brass underneath?"

I'm in the hardware business and I can tell you that no, there are no bronzes that won't eventually patina or eventually become "rubbed" bronze.

The reason for this is that the pigmentation of the finish is done with soft metals. Just as copper colored spray paint has copper in it. This means that the finish will reflect the weakness of the soft metals used to paint it.

Pigmentation used in red, black, blue, green, knobs etc. are minerals which are much harder. Other finishes that won't change over time are finishes that actually are the metal, such as stainless steel.

The bronze is simply too malleable of a metal to not wear away over time.

Here is a link that might be useful: D. Lawless Hardware

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 10:31AM
More Discussions
metal lathe advice
I am hoping to be able to machine a few small aluminum...
mn1247
Bumper or pad for Gate Slamming?
Hi, I have a metal gate that has closed/slammed so...
akarinz
Copper sinks dont drain
I have a under mount copper sink installed in a granite...
eltrecero
Copper bar top
I'm planning to use copper sheeting to finish my basement...
jedijoe1
copper roof - caulked seams instead of solder???
We recently installed a small copper roof over a porch...
alice462
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™