Attn: Oldryer

wi-sailorgirlFebruary 9, 2013

I so appreciate you sharing your knowledge of countertop fabrication on this forum and it's always nice to hear a professional opinion.

I was wondering how much material is lost during fabrication, specifically on quartz (if there is a difference in materials). We're able to get all of our counters out of one slab of quartz but the initial quote (given via email so I've not had a chance to discuss this with them yet) from the fabricator said there would be two seams. I mocked up a layout that would have just one seam that I'll be talking to them about, but since we really are using every bit of this slab, there isn't a lot of room to spare. For instance, in order to make my layout work, I need an L-shaped piece in which the short end is 54.5 inches on the 56-inch side of slab. Is that even possible (assuming the slab actually IS 56 inches wide, which I understand is not always the case)?

And can they cut two pieces sharing a cut?

I will, of course, discuss this with the fabricator but I like to be armed with information before these discussions. Thank you in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldryder

wi-sailorgirl: the usable slab is usually a good inch less than the slab dimension due to a poor finish on the very perimeter of the slab. Fabricators deal with this by cutting the parts so that the poor edge is covered by splash.

How the fabricator can cut depends on his equipment. If he has a waterjet he can squeeze a little more on a slab particularly if there are "L" pieces.

Ask the fabricator for a drawing showing your parts laid out on a slab. It'll be clear very quickly what will work. If you want to try it yourself get some graph paper and make a very accurate drawing. don't forget the 1/8" or so lost to the sawing operation.

your actual slab size depends on the brand. most are 120 X 55" with usable 119 X 54". Caesartstone slabs are more like 120 X 55". Silestone has many colors in jumbo slabs that are 128 X 63 with 122 X 62" typically usable.

as you can see there are a lot of variables. this doesn't even count what small additional amounts may be required for your parts because your walls are out of square (which they almoast certainly are!)

good luck. you are asking the questions up front instead of after everything is done.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 2:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wi-sailorgirl

What excellent information. Thank you so much! It's very helpful to have a little background before talking to them about it.

And I'm positive my walls are out of square. I don't think there is a square wall or a level floor to be found in this house!

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 9:34PM
More Discussions
Help with kitchen mat-awkward area. Custom?
What we would ideally like is a mat with a 45 degree...
akl_vdb
Clearance for full overlay doors
I'm finally ready to order the doors and drawer fronts...
weedyacres
Has anyone heard of/used Hominter?
Our new house build is proceeding and while we haven't...
beckysharp
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
Is glazing stained cabinets going out of style?
It seems like glazing white or cream cabinets is already...
nerdyhousewife
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™