Woodworker Needs Help!

deaddigitsJuly 30, 2006

I am an experience woodworking hobbyist, who is trying to make a golf putter head out of aluminum

stock.

When I try to use my grinding wheel (aluminum oxide) to shape the aluminum stock it loads up quickly and I stop. I've heard of exploding wheels.

When I use my woodworking drill press (14") to drill 1/8" holes one inch deep, the drill bit snaps off and the part that is lodged in the aluminum cannot be pulled out. I have lost three drill bits despite frequently withdrawing the drill bit to make sure the flutes do not get loaded up with aluminum or get overheated. Should I be using a lubricant? At what speed should I set my drill press? Mine has speeds ranging from 350 to 3500 rpm.

For what I thought would be an interesting project has become a very frustrating one. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DNT1

Oh shoot man this sounds like fun. Since the part is so small a regular 80 grit grinding disc should work well for shaping activities. Now the other thing with the drill bits is that it is not a drill bit or lubricant problem the problem is that the workpiece is shifting or you have a older drill press with some play in the shaft and it is shifting. So we need to lock the part securely and try that drilling thing again, if the drill press is the problem borrow your neighbors

Bookmark   August 12, 2006 at 10:41PM
More Discussions
metal compatibility
I have a built in gutter on my gable roof. The gutter...
dustynight
Painting Galvanized Metal
What's the best way to paint galvanized metal(exterior)?...
vic99
Building a snow plow pusher.
I have a large driveway to clear of snow in the winter,...
The_Ingenious_One
HELP!! Patina off copper sink!
I love my copper sink with its dark patina but there...
bichonlover3
Copper bar top
I'm planning to use copper sheeting to finish my basement...
jedijoe1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™