Bender for Rebar project?

nutynetieJune 25, 2005

Would a conduit bender work for bending rebar?

I have several in the garage (somewhere) and want to make a "fan trellis"

out of the rebar about 14' high and 8' wide to fill in the boring side of my house.

DH says no, I need to buy a "rebar bender" (just another toy for the garage to eat?)

I'll be using the flimsy stuff from the BORG.

Also, any suggestions on the "brackets" that keep the "fan" spread with welding?

DH can weld but doesn't really like my idea, so not worth coaxing him into it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

It will work - it's almost as easy to pound a couple of stakes in the ground and bend it on that. It doesn't resist bending, and doesn't spring back much.

Weld the base of the fan spokes flat, maybe with a couple of chunks of rebar across the base for extra strength.

Then, bend one long piece of rebar into the top "arch" for the fan (brace the middle on a lamp post and just walk the ends to get it to bend, or hold it in place with tent stakes and bend it on the ground). Mark where you want the spokes to go. Hold the base down with something, and spread the tips, starting at each side, to match the marks on the arch and weld them there. Trim the excess, bend it under or whatever.

Measure down a couple of feet and weld another arch onto the spokes ... repeat until trellis is done to your satisfaction.

Weld a couple of LONG, HEAVY rebars (3/4" or so) onto the base to serve3 as anchors, and anchor it to the wall along the arches.

Bookmark   June 25, 2005 at 8:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nutynetie

Thank you!

Bookmark   June 26, 2005 at 2:45PM
More Discussions
Need basic information & resources re: stair rails
We need exterior stair rails and have just started...
lindyk
Metal/Iron Stair rail
I moved into a house last year. It is a tri-level home....
harmony5002
Building a snow plow pusher.
I have a large driveway to clear of snow in the winter,...
The_Ingenious_One
metal compatibility
I have a built in gutter on my gable roof. The gutter...
dustynight
change bolt lock on inside of door but not out?historical sort of
Hi. We bought an old house and are changing all of...
Bridget Helm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™