Inverter plasma cutter from harbor freight

CarenAJune 3, 2005

Does anyone know about the performance of the Harborfrieght inverter plasma cutter. I bought it on sale for $500.00 -- it's 220V, and has a 40% duty cycle at 36Amps. I haven't used it yet b/c it appears I have to hire an electrician to put the proper plug on it (didn't come with the plug). Do these little plasma cutters work really well? I typically don't cut anything thicker than 1/8 and the specifications say this plasma cutter will cut through 3/8. Anyone have experience with this plasma cutter or one like it? I'd love feedback. Not sure if I bought something that could just be frustrating or not.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spambdamn_rich

If all you're cutting is 1/8 then this cutter should work fine. I've used a much bigger one as part of my metalwork training, and IMHO plasma cutters are great, much easier to use than a cutting torch. I haven't used (or seen) the Harbor Freight version, but $500 is a pretty reasonable price. I think I've seen that one advertised for $700 or more.

I don't quite understand why you can't wire up a new plug yourself; that's what I would do. I'm assuming you have a 220 outlet for it. If not, then yeah, I'd probably hire an electrician to put that in.

You should know that Harbor Freight equipment isn't considered top of the line, or even mid-line. But when you're only using it to 1/3 its capacity, it might be all you need. Parts and service might be another issue.

Bookmark   June 29, 2005 at 3:13AM
More Discussions
Building a snow plow pusher.
I have a large driveway to clear of snow in the winter,...
The_Ingenious_One
Horseshoes
I have an abundance of used steel Montana horseshoes...
lilbritches1
Copper bar top
I'm planning to use copper sheeting to finish my basement...
jedijoe1
Copper kitchen table?
We're remodeling our kitchen and my wife is interested...
craig00
Help - Cast Aluminum furniture cracks (Pic)
Hi, (Cross posted originally on decor forum and posting...
homey_bird
Sponsored Products
Gold Floor Lamp: 69.25 in. Briar Dragonfly Antique Golden Sand Torchiere TR13068
Home Depot
75th Anniversary Blender
$249.99 | zulily
Kichler Monroe 2 Light Inverted Pendant - 17.5W in. Olde Bronze - 43163OZ
$156.00 | Hayneedle
Juliette Bronze One-Light Mini Pendant with Garnet Glass
$243.00 | Bellacor
Bronze Table Lamp: 22.5 in. Macintosh Dark Bronze Table Lamp TT12325
Home Depot
Brushed Nickel Pendant 3-Light Fluorescent
PLFixtures
Trilliane Silver Eight-Light Crystal Swarovski Elements Pendant Light, 19W x 23H
Bellacor
Veneto Luce Dakota Inverted 3-Tier Chandelier by Justice Design Group
$3,780.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™