copper awning over bay windows

ddggMay 12, 2006

I have a couple of copper awnings over my bay windows on the front of my 35 year old home. They have had paint dripped on them, they have turned nearly black with some spots of green patina beginning to form. They are not pretty. Is there a way I could restore them somewhat back to a copper color. I would love to be able to do that and seal them. I have found a product online called Copper Bright Copper Cleaner. Anybody had any experience with that product or any others? Thanks for any input.

Debbie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edselpdx

I freely admit that I am not a metal work person and that I am no expert at all, but many people wait years/decades for their copper to "turn" to brown and verdigris. This is generally a wanted change. People apply accelerators to their shiny copper or brown weathered copper to make this slow oxidation faster than the decades it really takes naturally. You could use a copper cleaner/polisher and/or some steel wool or sandpaper to restore the shiny copper look, but you'll have to apply some kind of urethane or finish to keep it from turning brown and starting the patina process over again. Plan on using plenty of elbow grease.

Bookmark   May 14, 2006 at 6:23PM
More Discussions
Yard Art
I don't like to toot my own horn. Just wanted to post...
mla2ofus
Horseshoes
I have an abundance of used steel Montana horseshoes...
lilbritches1
Painting Galvanized Metal
What's the best way to paint galvanized metal(exterior)?...
vic99
Building a snow plow pusher.
I have a large driveway to clear of snow in the winter,...
The_Ingenious_One
Laser cut blanks
Hello, Looking for place where one can order some laser...
allN
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™