How do I get maximum sparks when grinding?

CircusGRINDMay 29, 2013

Hey guys, I know this is an odd question as generally, you want not too much sparks for safety.

I perform with an angle grinder on stage to create 'fireworks' off a plate (with guards) on a belt on my body.

I use steel at the moment, with a standard grinding disc, and a battery operated 750 watt 4.5 grinder.

I'm not getting as much bang as I would like.
Is there a different kind of metal OR maybe a cutting disc that would give me more sparks? although, a cutting disc sounds much more dangerous than a grinding disc.
OR for more sparks is it a simple case or more power, more sparks.

Any tips and advice you could give would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north

You're looking sparkling HOT!

>>standard grinding disc, and a battery operated 750 watt 4.5 grinder.So,..what's the cord doing then,...get it, to look more dramatic.

I would experiment with differant steel, I'm thinking low carbon steel.
But now I'm thinking of something more dramatic effect and allot safer.

You would need some help,..getting a bunch of flints, perhaps from a welding supply, about a hundred or so, the type with a screw on end. Then a hundred or so little bolts what fits that thread.
Now, making a steel plate up, drill a hundred or so holes
through that plate and bolt the flints on. You have now a steel plate with sduded flints and now you need to test what wheel works best.
You don't need a grinding disk anymore,..thinking of just a plane flat, [perhaps knurled] steel wheel about 1/4inch wide. Somebody in a machineshop can make up.
Just hinking how to dublicate the spark effect, say 50 times more then you'll get on single hand flint, the one used to start a welding torch.

Before spending a bunch of money, do a test with one flint only first, I'm tinking to use a dremel wheel, try a wood cutting wheel, diamont etc. first and experiment.

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 1:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jcalhoun

Magnesium will put out a lot of high intensity sparks. It's also used in fire starting kits. That's why the low rider crowd puts in under there cars.

Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:46PM
More Discussions
Place in SF Bay Area to get a metal railing made?
Looking for a recommendation for a metal shop in SF...
chaus7
metal compatibility
I have a built in gutter on my gable roof. The gutter...
dustynight
need help identifying
Hi everybody! Just wondering if anyone out there could...
texaspinkpixie
Metal plant stands
How would you guys suggest making metal plant stands?...
caseyjones
Yard Art
I don't like to toot my own horn. Just wanted to post...
mla2ofus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™