Metal porch roof

shavenApril 4, 2006

Folks, I've got a strange one for you. I just finished building a house with a sheet metal (standing seam) roof on the front porch. Problem is we left the plastic film on too long and it has baked on...and breaks into tiny pieces when we try to pull it off. Any suggestions on removing it? I'd like to use a solvent but don't want to ruin the black finish of the steel.Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sudsmaster

Well, the damage may already be done, but you have some options:

1) Call the mfg and ask what solvent would be safe to use with their finish. If you don't know who the mfg, as whoever installed the roofing.

2) Let the sun do its thing and in time the plastic will disintegrate on its own. However I wouldn't be surprised if it left a mottled finish in its wake.

3) test various solvents in an inconspicuous corner of the roofing and where corrosion would not result in a leak.

Bookmark   April 8, 2006 at 10:40PM
sudsmaster

You could also try using a hair dryer or heat gun set on low to see if heating up the plastic makes it peel off the roofing easier. This is a trick that auto/motorcycle folks use to remove factory stick on decals from stock bikes.

Bookmark   April 8, 2006 at 10:42PM
shaven

Sudsmaster, I'm gonna start with the dryer and if that doesn't do it, I'll try the solvent route. Thanks for your suggestions!

Shaven

Bookmark   April 11, 2006 at 11:55AM
More Discussions
Copper bar top
I'm planning to use copper sheeting to finish my basement...
jedijoe1
Bumper or pad for Gate Slamming?
Hi, I have a metal gate that has closed/slammed so...
akarinz
HELP!! Patina off copper sink!
I love my copper sink with its dark patina but there...
bichonluver3
Place in SF Bay Area to get a metal railing made?
Looking for a recommendation for a metal shop in SF...
chaus7
Hot patina techniques for copper countertop
Hello there, I have my heart set on a copper countertop...
adriennepratt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™