Painting metal baseboard?

DruidClarkApril 18, 2005

I thought I'd ask the question here, as it seems at least as much related to metalworking as any other topic.

Our metal baseboard is in bad shape. Can it be sanded and repainted? If so, what's the best place? I'm thinking someone who does car painting, but not sure.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_wa

You could have them dipped in acid or sand or bead blasted, then painted and clear coated ... prep is everything. You might even want to look into powder coating, more durable than paint though. Just depends on how much you want to get into it.

You would be amazed at what you can do with a wire wheel and a can of spray paint though.

Mike

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 1:10AM
Eastrick

I considered blasting and re-painting the covers for my baseboards. Then I realized that new covers are not expensive and look very nice. You can buy a cover for a 5' heater for about $28 at Lowe's or HD. With a new heating element, they are only $5 more. For a larger room with 15-20' of heater, you can get several 8-10' covers and the splices to make the installation look clean.

As I remodel each room in my house, I am replacing all the old baseboards, including the elements, since they are all bashed up, dirty, and full of undescribable nastiness.

-Eastrick

Bookmark   June 10, 2005 at 2:26PM
chinacat_sunflower

:) on new baseboards, Eastrick is right- just recover them.

on my darling old, original to the house beasties? can't replace them- I painted two of them with plain old house paint, used a wire brush on a drill to clean up the radiators and sprayed them with rustoleum heat resistant...

and cleaned another one of the baseboards down to bare metal, gave it several coats of the copper coating they use for Verdigris work...and then added copper leaf over that base. like it so much, I'm thinking about doing them all that way.

Bookmark   June 13, 2005 at 3:49PM
More Discussions
Problem with SCALANCE X101-1 and Cisco Switch ?
I really don't know what do this happen when i try...
Jasmine01
Need help - bending a short steel pipe
Hello everyone, I need some suggestions on how to bend...
jungleman
DIY copper countertop #2
Since the last thread on this topic has reached capacity,...
cleanclassic
Horseshoes
I have an abundance of used steel Montana horseshoes...
lilbritches1
need help identifying
Hi everybody! Just wondering if anyone out there could...
texaspinkpixie
Sponsored Products
'Paper embossed poppy' Hand Painted Canvas Art
Overstock.com
Pera 6 Satin Nickel One-Light Mini Pendant with Blue Cloud Glass
$148.50 | Bellacor
A19 Lighting | Madera Wall Sconce
$105.99 | YLighting
Stilo Satin Nickel One-Light Incandescent 120v Mini Pendant with Flat Canopy and
$157.50 | Bellacor
Large Hand Painted Pastel Floral 5-piece Canvas Oil Painting
Overstock.com
New York City Watercolor Wall Art
$319.00 | FRONTGATE
Monterrey Recycled Plastic Backless Bench - C3116BLK
$447.00 | Hayneedle
Eliot Leather Sofa - Brighton Lemon Grass Yellow
Joybird Furniture
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™