Cut Off Chop Saw

dave_mnApril 27, 2005

I am looking for a mid priced chop saw. I know there are 2 types...dry cut (no sparks) and abrasive (sparks). Anyone have any suggestions...brands? Only hobby use not any production.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mla2ofus

For just hobby use I would recommend a Makita abrasive saw.The dry blades are nice but expensive. I first bought a Harbor Freight chop saw and was not happy due to lack of power even cutting 1/8" flat bar standing on edge. I've had the Makita 3 yrs and am totally satisfied with it.As with any power tool, you usually get what you pay for. A friend has a Makita like the one I bought. It's 8 yrs old and is used in a production shop and still works as well as mine.
My $.02 worth,
Mike

Bookmark   April 27, 2005 at 11:49PM
DNT1

Call your local tool supply store get a 6" Metabo Cut Off Grinder and about a dozen of the metabo cut off blades (blades are about 1/16" thick cuts any metal like a hot knife thru butter) you will never use anything else after using one. They are built with a clutch so if the blade hangs it does not burn the tool up they look just like a regular six inch grinder and will accept regular grinding disc, great tool, we use them everyday in the sheetmetal trade.

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 5:51PM
spambdamn_rich

Hmmm. I recently got a HF chop saw... still in the box, waiting for me to clear more junk out of my shop so I can set it up. I couldn't resist the price: normally $99, reduced to $50, with the same HP rating as their other models. I guess we'll see if the thing has the oomph to cut through stuff thicker than sheet metal - although that is my intended application (cutting through stuff like conduit/pipe/gutters). For heavier stuff I'd probably want to use a band saw or cold saw, anyway.

Bookmark   May 8, 2005 at 3:25PM
More Discussions
Need basic information & resources re: stair rails
We need exterior stair rails and have just started...
lindyk
Copper kitchen table?
We're remodeling our kitchen and my wife is interested...
craig00
Painting Galvanized Metal
What's the best way to paint galvanized metal(exterior)?...
vic99
Yard Art
I don't like to toot my own horn. Just wanted to post...
mla2ofus
DIY copper countertop #2
Since the last thread on this topic has reached capacity,...
cleanclassic
Sponsored Products
Jaipur Scandinavia Dula Devina Area Rug - RUG108337
$920.00 | Hayneedle
Bolla Satin Nickel One-Light Bath Fixture with Carrera Glass
$153.00 | Bellacor
LNR Home Adana Charcoal Abstract Runner (1'9 x 6'9)
Overstock.com
Grease Sheet - Set of 10
$6.99 | zulily
60W High LED Tape Electronic Transformer
PLFixtures
kaarskoker Basketweave 4 in. x 7/8 in. Sage and Silver Paper Candle Covers, Set
$9.60 | Home Depot
Medium Lismore Candlestick Set of Two
$285.00 | Horchow
Grayed Jade Flower Graphic Shade Apothecary Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™