where can I find steel counter support

bemilyMarch 24, 2005

Anyone know where I can get steel L-brackets for under counter support? They need to be thin (1/4 inch) and 12" long and 12" high. I've been searching and searching and getting very frustrated because this seems like a simple thing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gwest_ca

Search for 17k3512 at the link below. If that's not what you need go to the index and select shelf hardware.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley - Hardware

Bookmark   March 28, 2005 at 5:48AM
bemily

Thanks for trying but I'm looking for the L's without that angled piece. I may just go with decorative corbels instead of hidden support. It's just too hard to find.

Bookmark   March 28, 2005 at 4:52PM
gooseberry_guy

You might try contacting a metal fab shop. They could bend some brackets for you out of 1/4 inch by probably 2 inch steel flat stock. That would likely work for you, depending on the weight you may put on the shelf.

That's one idea, start with those dimensions and discuss your needs with the fab shop. Something should work for you.

GG

Bookmark   March 28, 2005 at 5:22PM
bikerdave

I had this same dilemma when I installed my breakfast bar with a granite countertop. I didn't want to use corbels or other supports because I didn't want folks banging their knees and I don't like the look. I like that "free float" look also. So, I actually purchase a custom cut metal plate, screwed it to top of the breakfast bar supporting wall, and then just layed the granite right on top. Make sure that your wall I had to go to a specialty machinist shop to get the metal sheet (roughly 10 gauge), and they laser drilled holes and countersunk the holes so that I could screw flush into the metal. I had screw holes countersunk and offset every 8 inches along the sheet metal. Also make sure that your top 2x4 is securely mounted. If you can add a 2x4 between each stud (directly under the top board, side nailed into the studs). Then, you can screw through the metal sheet securely onto not just the top 2x4, but also the 2x4 directly underneath it, giving you a very sturdy base to lay the granite on. You don't want the weight of the granite to rip the top 2x4 off.

You can see the whole project at http://www.thegoodrumfamily.com/ayrlee.kitchen Look at the pictures under the Saturday section and you can see the metal sheet, and see a small section how the top 2x4 is reenforced with another 2x4 underneath.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ayrlee Kitchen Project

Bookmark   February 14, 2009 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
Yard Art
I don't like to toot my own horn. Just wanted to post...
mla2ofus
Help - Cast Aluminum furniture cracks (Pic)
Hi, (Cross posted originally on decor forum and posting...
homey_bird
Copper kitchen table?
We're remodeling our kitchen and my wife is interested...
craig00
Painting Galvanized Metal
What's the best way to paint galvanized metal(exterior)?...
vic99
Building a snow plow pusher.
I have a large driveway to clear of snow in the winter,...
The_Ingenious_One
Sponsored Products
HGTV HOME Blue/Off-White Hand-painted Ceramic Table Lamp
Overstock.com
Sunscape Steel Square Planter - SP1S-BLK
$59.99 | Hayneedle
Oval-Shaped White Ceramic Vessel Sink
TheBathOutlet
Contemporary Retractable Wall-Mount Pot Filler Faucet
Signature Hardware
Whitehaus GR532 Solid Stainless Steel Sink Protection Grid 13'' x 16 1/4''
$79.00 | Blue Bath