sanding off chrome plating to paint or ???

linnea56March 7, 2006

We have one of those chrome recessed TP holders in the bathroom. I went looking (store and online) for ones in a Oil Rubbed Bronze or iron/black finish yesterday. All I could find were ones that mount on the wall and then project out. We need to have the recessed kind due to space restrictions. Plus would have to re-do the drywall if we removed it.

I'm starting to think about sanding off the chrome or de-glossing it enough to paint. Anyone sanded off chrome before, then painted or patinated with something else? What's usually underneath chrome? If it's brass I could do a nice patina with that...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeffinmonterey

If you really need this type of design, AND you really can't find a replacement, then you might try a commercial plating firm. They can electrically strip off the chrome and replate practically any color you need.

Bookmark   March 8, 2006 at 12:17AM
linnea56

It's set so beautifully into the drywall I'm afraid I could never replace it so well!

Bookmark   March 13, 2006 at 8:05PM
kudzu9

linnea-
Usually these things are mounted by cutting a rough hole into the wall and fixing them in place with a couple of screws. If you're thinking of doing anything with this while it's in place you'll truly have a mess on your hands.

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 1:01PM
linnea56

Do you mean sanding while it's in place would be messy? I wasn't thinking anything chemical. I'm pretty neat while sanding...unless there's something different about sanding chrome? I'ver sanded off other platings though never chrome. Does it flake?

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 6:28PM
kudzu9

linnea-
Sorry...didn't see your re-post until now. I did mean both sanding in place and finishing in place. I also should have mentioned that metal dusts are toxic and you should have an appropriate respirator and ventilated workspace if you do this.

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
Yard Art
I don't like to toot my own horn. Just wanted to post...
mla2ofus
copper roof - caulked seams instead of solder???
We recently installed a small copper roof over a porch...
alice462
soldering copper gutters
how diy-able is it to solder a copper lap joint? I...
kitchenquest
Bumper or pad for Gate Slamming?
Hi, I have a metal gate that has closed/slammed so...
akarinz
Problem with SCALANCE X101-1 and Cisco Switch ?
I really don't know what do this happen when i try...
Jasmine01
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™