sanding off chrome plating to paint or ???

linnea56March 7, 2006

We have one of those chrome recessed TP holders in the bathroom. I went looking (store and online) for ones in a Oil Rubbed Bronze or iron/black finish yesterday. All I could find were ones that mount on the wall and then project out. We need to have the recessed kind due to space restrictions. Plus would have to re-do the drywall if we removed it.

I'm starting to think about sanding off the chrome or de-glossing it enough to paint. Anyone sanded off chrome before, then painted or patinated with something else? What's usually underneath chrome? If it's brass I could do a nice patina with that...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeffinmonterey

If you really need this type of design, AND you really can't find a replacement, then you might try a commercial plating firm. They can electrically strip off the chrome and replate practically any color you need.

Bookmark   March 8, 2006 at 12:17AM
linnea56

It's set so beautifully into the drywall I'm afraid I could never replace it so well!

Bookmark   March 13, 2006 at 8:05PM
kudzu9

linnea-
Usually these things are mounted by cutting a rough hole into the wall and fixing them in place with a couple of screws. If you're thinking of doing anything with this while it's in place you'll truly have a mess on your hands.

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 1:01PM
linnea56

Do you mean sanding while it's in place would be messy? I wasn't thinking anything chemical. I'm pretty neat while sanding...unless there's something different about sanding chrome? I'ver sanded off other platings though never chrome. Does it flake?

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 6:28PM
kudzu9

linnea-
Sorry...didn't see your re-post until now. I did mean both sanding in place and finishing in place. I also should have mentioned that metal dusts are toxic and you should have an appropriate respirator and ventilated workspace if you do this.

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
Yard Art
I don't like to toot my own horn. Just wanted to post...
mla2ofus
Painting Galvanized Metal
What's the best way to paint galvanized metal(exterior)?...
vic99
Hot patina techniques for copper countertop
Hello there, I have my heart set on a copper countertop...
adriennepratt
Horseshoes
I have an abundance of used steel Montana horseshoes...
lilbritches1
Laser cut blanks
Hello, Looking for place where one can order some laser...
allN
Sponsored Products
Ren-Wil W6078 Stormy Nights Square Alternative Wall Decor by Elias Muqoz
Beyond Stores
Ulysses Drum Pendant by Arteriors
$1,260.00 | Lumens
Carlton Garnet Red Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Football Field Tabletop Cornhole Set - 114
$22.79 | Hayneedle
Bamboo Army Green Grasscloth R2008
Walls Republic