How to cut silverware?

sunnyflMarch 21, 2005

Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum and have a few pieces of silverware, I would like to cut. I wanted to try some of the handles..ends to make key chains. I don't have a lot to cut, so investing in expensive equipment is not an option. Can anyone help me?

Thanks a zillion,

Mary Ann

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
noworries

Depending on how heavy (thick) the metal is, you may be able to use a pair of "diagonal," or "side" cutters. They look like pliers with sharp edges. You'd then need to dress the end of the piece as it'd be deformed a little from the cutting. I'd try the cut first away from where you want the finished cut to see how much it crushes the metal.

Another choice is a fine hacksaw. Or, an electric "Dremmel" tool with a "cut-off" wheel would give the best edge on the piece.

A dremmel is a nice tool to have around anyway for all sorts of hobby-related work. It spins at very high speed and will take all sorts of cutting, grinding, sanding, etc., little tools. They're pretty inexpensive.

Bookmark   March 21, 2005 at 11:27AM
sunnyfl

Hi,
I have a Dremmel and will give it a try. I also have used our hacksaw with not much success. I'll let you know how everything works out :)

Thanks for your reply!

Mary Ann

Bookmark   March 21, 2005 at 5:33PM
brickeyee

Use a 32 teeth per inch blade in a hacksaw, or invest a few dollars in a jewelers saw (looks sort of like a coping saw) and some fine tooth blades.
When cuttin, the tooth count should be selected to keep at least 3 teeth in contact with the metal during the cut. A shallow angle allows the use of a coarser blade then a perpendicular cut.

Bookmark   March 30, 2005 at 9:33PM
kudzu9

You can get a jeweler's saw pretty cheap. It's like a coping saw with very fine toothed blades. It would allow you to cut curves if you wanted. There are plenty of online suppliers of jeweler's tools if you're not by a big city.

Bookmark   May 17, 2005 at 3:38AM
chinacat_sunflower

:) I get more use out of my coping saw with a metal-cutting blade than I do out of my jeweler's frame- even the coarse blades are too fine for me, and I snap them like pretzel sticks.

a side cutter- or borrowing a friend's bolt cutter, will do just fine, then you need a grinding wheel or a ba$tard file to clean up the edges.

after that, it's not hard to bend them with a pair of big pliers- if you're doing this for things to sell, I would use leather between the jaws and the handles, to prevent the teeth from chewing up the silver.

Bookmark   June 13, 2005 at 3:57PM
More Discussions
Yard Art
I don't like to toot my own horn. Just wanted to post...
mla2ofus
Copper kitchen table?
We're remodeling our kitchen and my wife is interested...
craig00
Hot patina techniques for copper countertop
Hello there, I have my heart set on a copper countertop...
adriennepratt
Metal/Iron Stair rail
I moved into a house last year. It is a tri-level home....
harmony5002
Working with metal is fun!
I want to encourage people taking on jobs or trades...
Konrad___far_north
Sponsored Products
Bistro Collection 13" Wide Silverware Pendant
Lamps Plus
5-Pc. Cutlery Set in Black
$59.99 | Dot & Bo
Brass Floral Candle Holder - 5"
$49.00 | FRONTGATE
Green Paisley Decka Utensil & Condiment Caddy
$14.99 | zulily
Vac-Snap Bags - Quart
$11.95 | FRONTGATE