copper roof - caulked seams instead of solder???

alice462March 12, 2009

We recently installed a small copper roof over a porch as part of our renovation. While the gutters were being worked on one of the workers commented that it looks like the copper seams on the roof had been sealed with caulk rather than soldered??? Is this an acceptable practice?? I just assumed that copper seams would be soldered.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

What kind of seams are they? Many roof panels have what are called standing seams that lock together in a way that prevents water from getting in. They need no sealing of any kind. In fact, it's often desirable to have roof components that can be easily removed in case you need to fix a problem. If they are not standing seams, but are flat seams, those can usually be installed with little or no solder if the roof is at an incline (much like overlapping, standard shingles). If all the seams are caulked, it suggests either a different seam design, someone adding caulk in anticipation of a problem, or someone who didn't know what they were doing. Why not ask the installer for an explanation?

Bookmark   March 22, 2009 at 2:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ornametals

That is definitely bad installation. You should make them redo it. Or call professionals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper Gutter Installers

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 7:56PM
More Discussions
need help identifying
Hi everybody! Just wondering if anyone out there could...
texaspinkpixie
Copper bar top
I'm planning to use copper sheeting to finish my basement...
jedijoe1
Laser cut blanks
Hello, Looking for place where one can order some laser...
allN
Yard Art
I don't like to toot my own horn. Just wanted to post...
mla2ofus
Building a snow plow pusher.
I have a large driveway to clear of snow in the winter,...
The_Ingenious_One
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™