Souces for metalworker's hand tools?

joel_bcFebruary 23, 2008

I'd be very grateful if some knowledgeable people here could point me toward good sources for metalworking hand tools. Specifically, right now I'm wondering about sources offering a wide range of pliers, tongs, grippers, and clamps. Not jeweller-scale, but for larger metal stock (mild-steel steel bar, say, 3 - 12 mm thick).

I'm in a pretty remote area, and our largest "cities" around here have populations of 6000-10,000 people - so to say the least, selection at local hardware stores and welding-supply outlets is pretty basic and narrow. On-line (with illustrations plus descriptions of tools) would be fine. So would mail-order catalogs. I'm in western Canada, but western-U.S. sources would be fine, too. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sawdust_maker

I'd take a quick walk through Google. under "blacksmith supplies".

John

Here is a link that might be useful: blacksmith supplies

Bookmark   February 25, 2008 at 7:25PM
sawdust_maker

And for less expensive supplies, start hunting through the local antique shops. You can often find very good deals there on old tools.

John

Bookmark   February 25, 2008 at 7:28PM
joel_bc

John, thanks. Those guys that you linked me to there... they've got the right tools, but they're 4000 miles from me, in North Carolinia - a lot of shipping cost, I think.

I've tried the Google search you recommended, but could not come up with blacksmith supply sources in my province of Canada or in Alberta (next province east of me). But I'll continue to try to locate a source.

Sources near Calgary or near Vancouver would be the best for me.

Joel

Bookmark   February 25, 2008 at 10:24PM
joel_bc

I found a good source for affordable custom-made tongs. So I've got that covered now.

From a more general interest, though, I've been thinking it would be great to find one or more on-line sources for pliers, nippers, and these sorts of handled tools. I know Canadian Tire has a pretty broad selection, though their nearest store is about an hour's drive from where I live. Anybody know of an on-line source for a wide variety of pliers and similar tools?

Joel

Bookmark   March 7, 2008 at 3:51PM
cocker

I've no idea whether you're interested but I came across this set of antique set of sheet metal tools.

You can check out the flickr set, which is linked from that page - I think.....;-)

Bookmark   April 7, 2008 at 1:40PM
More Discussions
soldering copper gutters
how diy-able is it to solder a copper lap joint? I...
kitchenquest
change bolt lock on inside of door but not out?historical sort of
Hi. We bought an old house and are changing all of...
bmh4796
Need help - bending a short steel pipe
Hello everyone, I need some suggestions on how to bend...
jungleman
metal lathe advice
I am hoping to be able to machine a few small aluminum...
mn1247
Copper sinks dont drain
I have a under mount copper sink installed in a granite...
eltrecero
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™