Chemical that can change color?

caribbeancupcakeFebruary 11, 2007

I ordered antique bronze door hardware for the outside and crystal knobs inside.

The problem is the crystal knobs have satin nickel ferrals and it doesn't match the other metal. Is there a chemical I can put on the satin nickel to turn it brown?

Otherwise I will have to use metallic paint so it will look like part of a set?

Thanks in Advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You could paint them with Sophisticated Finishes Blackened Bronze. It's the closest match to ORB I've found. The paint actually contains fleck of real metal, so it looks quite good. Since they're not actually side by side, it would likely work. I bought it at Rejuvenation, but have since also seen it at craft stores like Michael's and Joanna.

I used the paint on a mailbox slot that's just pot metal that I couldn't replace when I redid my door hardware to ORB. The slot gets 6 day a week wear, and has held up well for 3 years.

Another thought would be to invest in new knobs for the inside crystal, but that's likely more expensive than you were thinking.

    Bookmark   March 2, 2007 at 7:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I was looking to change the color of my chrome fixtures and someone suggested this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shor International

    Bookmark   June 19, 2007 at 11:41AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Working with metal is fun!
I want to encourage people taking on jobs or trades...
Building a snow plow pusher.
I have a large driveway to clear of snow in the winter,...
change bolt lock on inside of door but not out?historical sort of
Hi. We bought an old house and are changing all of...
Bridget Helm
Need basic information & resources re: stair rails
We need exterior stair rails and have just started...
HELP!! Patina off copper sink!
I love my copper sink with its dark patina but there...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™