carbide burrs

horseman1February 7, 2005

Hi,

I went up to Denver last weekend to a big car parts exibition at the stock show complex up there. I ended up buying a carbide burr for $8 that looked to have a 1/4" shaft for my die grinder. Should be great for removing the booger welds on an inside corner that happen when I forget to turn the gas on :). Well, I got her home and the shaft is just a little too big for the die grinder. I'll probably have to grind down the shaft on it to get it to fit. What the heck is going on here? Did I buy some metric deal or something? The shaft is smooth and doesnt appear to be for a milling machine, but who knows?

Kurt

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DNT1

Die grinders typically run a bit to high rpm for carbide burrs (unless yours has a speed adjustment). A good variable speed drill usually works well and makes the bit last much longer. All according to what you are using it on. Lots of different sizes on the market might want to take your handy dandy drill bit gage next time you buy to check the stem size. Lots of good info in supply books like REID supply Co etc.

Bookmark   February 7, 2005 at 1:47PM
jabroni

We use the burrs all the time in die grinders work great wear eye protection and cover any bare skin those chards of steel are like needles a good pair of tweezers a must have item.

Bookmark   February 7, 2005 at 2:53PM
horseman1

OK, I'm an idiot. There was a thin coating of somethingorother on the shank.. After I got that crap off it slid right in :). It was probably something they put on to protect it from the elements. I plan on giving it a try later tonight if I get time.

Kurt

Bookmark   February 7, 2005 at 9:08PM
kbeitz

Are you sure your collet is opening all the way... Sometimes they don't....

Bookmark   February 8, 2005 at 8:14PM
horseman1

Kevin,

Maybe it was a combination of the two things. All I know for sure is that it fits now. I wouldnt be surprised if the collet wasnt all the way open. This isnt an expensice die grinder. I havent had a chance to use the burr yet. I made YAD (Yet Another Drawbar) for the lawn tractor to better handle a 1-7/8 inch ball without bending the little stock POS hitch hole. I want to do a little touch up with the carbide burr before primer and paint. I'll use the usual precautions when I do (hearing protection, gloves, face shield etc). I may round up the tweezers too as mentioned by jabroni

Kurt

Bookmark   February 9, 2005 at 1:03PM
support_rjtool_com

For a full line of carbide burs visit this website...

www.rjtool.com

Here is a link that might be useful: CARBIDE BURS

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 2:17PM
More Discussions
Building a snow plow pusher.
I have a large driveway to clear of snow in the winter,...
The_Ingenious_One
copper roof - caulked seams instead of solder???
We recently installed a small copper roof over a porch...
alice462
Need basic information & resources re: stair rails
We need exterior stair rails and have just started...
lindyk
Bumper or pad for Gate Slamming?
Hi, I have a metal gate that has closed/slammed so...
akarinz
Metal plant stands
How would you guys suggest making metal plant stands?...
caseyjones
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™