Drill faucet hole in stainless steel mounted on MDF?

secondcupJanuary 6, 2012

I am in desperate need of help.

I have a stainless steel countertop (stainless steel wrapped around 1-3/4" thick MDF). I need to cut a faucet hole in it that is 1 1/4" in diameter.

I have no idea how to acheive this. I know I will need to mark out a center point and the circumference. I think I will need to use a center punch to nick the center before I start drilling with a bit that is OK to use on metal.... But I know I am missing things here.

Would anyone be willing to give me a step by step guide on how the heck to do it myself?

Thanks for any advice you guys can give.

secondcup

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

You need to use a 1 1/4" hole saw. The only trouble is that stainless is difficult to drill because it dulls bits quickly. You'll want to invest in a good quality hole saw (or several cheap ones).

Use a center punch to mark your starting point and use the hole saw on a very low speed (maybe 350 rpm). Depending on the hole saw you may not be able to get through 1 3/4". So using the same size drill bit as the pilot bit of the hole saw, drill all the saw through. Then finish the hole from the underside of the counter top.

Bookmark   January 9, 2012 at 10:45PM
brickeyee

A hole saw with grit for the cutting edge will get through the metal in short order.

Then switch to a regular toothed cutter for the MDF.

Bookmark   January 19, 2012 at 4:16PM
kevin45

When cutting stainless sheet whether you use a drill bit or a hole saw, the key is to go slow. If you are using a variable speed drill, slow it down as far as it will go and use some oil for a lubricant. Just a tad of motor oil will work fine.

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 1:55PM
More Discussions
Metal plant stands
How would you guys suggest making metal plant stands?...
caseyjones
Help - Cast Aluminum furniture cracks (Pic)
Hi, (Cross posted originally on decor forum and posting...
homey_bird
Yard Art
I don't like to toot my own horn. Just wanted to post...
mla2ofus
Working with metal is fun!
I want to encourage people taking on jobs or trades...
Konrad___far_north
need help identifying
Hi everybody! Just wondering if anyone out there could...
texaspinkpixie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™