3 oz copper sheet?

rockynJanuary 25, 2006

Howdy all,

I'm a total newbie. Saw some copper sheet at HD -it was rolled up with brown paper and not really obvious as copper. Just marked as roofing sheathing for wood roofs.

Anywho, it was also marked as 3 oz copper. Where does that designation come in and what does it mean? The roll must have weighed at least 8 lbs.

And, would this weight have any cool crafting qualities or is it too lightweight?

Many Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Copper is often marked as oz weight. The weight is per square foot of material. 1 oz copper is about 1.4 mils thick, so 3 oz copper will be about 4.2 mils thick. It is actually rather light for craftwork.
Roof flashing is usually in the 16 oz range (22.4 mils) and up.

Bookmark   January 28, 2006 at 2:01PM
sudsmaster

I bought some of that copper roll a while back. It has an asphault like layer sanwiched between the copper and the kraft paper backing. This gives it considerably more body than just the 3 oz copper would provide alone.

I got it with the intention of using it to band citrus trees to keep snails off them. Still working on that ;-).

You can get small sheets of sheet copper at Orchard Supply Hardware. It's not cheap.

Bookmark   March 5, 2006 at 12:45AM
art71

Greetings,

I know this is an old thread, but I have been trying to make sense of all the various ways copper sheeting is referred (want to use some for snail/slug barriers as well--5 mil or 36 gauge seems to work the best and be most affordable) and came across a really good thickness guide on basiccopper.com

Art

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper Sheet Thickness Guide

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 11:11AM
More Discussions
Building a snow plow pusher.
I have a large driveway to clear of snow in the winter,...
The_Ingenious_One
need help identifying
Hi everybody! Just wondering if anyone out there could...
texaspinkpixie
Bumper or pad for Gate Slamming?
Hi, I have a metal gate that has closed/slammed so...
akarinz
Problem with SCALANCE X101-1 and Cisco Switch ?
I really don't know what do this happen when i try...
Jasmine01
Copper bar top
I'm planning to use copper sheeting to finish my basement...
jedijoe1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™