Refinishing Brass Plating !!

frank1203January 10, 2008

Hello, I'm in the process of redecorating my master bathroom and would like to keep an old polished brass Baker's Rack in the room that I've had for over 10 years. The problem is that this rack has tarnished and developed black spots over the years due to the moisture in the room and it is no longer very attractive. I have looked all over but cannot find a new polished brass rack to replace it. So - I want to refinish it or clean it up in the easiest way possible. What product or process can you recommend that I can do? Remember - this rack is not solid brass, but lacquered brass plated. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
izzie

Cheapest way get some spray paint. They have metal looking finishes in all sorts of colors. Just clean and lightly sand/use steel wool before spraying. Quite a few years ago I was re-finishing a desk and was going to re-place the drawer pulls but couldn't find any new ones that matched the holes (they were brass plated and in bad shape)I found a place that re-finished them using electroplating. They were able to put the brass back on and finished with a clear coat. 20 years ago it was about $60 for 7 handles. I may be quite expensive to do that to a bakers rack.

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 1:16PM
lindac

What makes you think it's plated?
Try removing the laquer with laquer thinner and paper towels and then use a brass cleaner....I'll bet it polishes up.
Linda C

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 6:15PM
izzie

One way to see if brass plated is to use a magnet. Won't stick to solid brass. My mother in-law showed me this trick while antiqe shopping.

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 11:22AM
More Discussions
Metal/Iron Stair rail
I moved into a house last year. It is a tri-level home....
harmony5002
change bolt lock on inside of door but not out?historical sort of
Hi. We bought an old house and are changing all of...
Bridget Helm
HELP!! Patina off copper sink!
I love my copper sink with its dark patina but there...
bichonluver3
Working with metal is fun!
I want to encourage people taking on jobs or trades...
Konrad___far_north
Horseshoes
I have an abundance of used steel Montana horseshoes...
lilbritches1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™