Welder Selection

rdtompkiJanuary 3, 2007

I've got 5 acres with horses and the usual assortment of welding opportunities too small to warrant hiring out. I need a 110V welder. Seems like a Lincoln flux-core 110V unit would do the trick. Typical application: welding galvanized hinges to galvanized pipe corral, the hinges being thicker than the galvanized "pipe". All the work will be outdoors.

I'm not too worried about appearance and don't have a portable generator so 220V probably isn't feasible. I don't see the 20% duty cycle as being a problem.

Does this welder choice make sense for this application?

Rick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mla2ofus

Yes,but I recommend grinding the zinc off wherever you want weld. Never tried it w/ flux core,but it can be a bear welding w/ stick.Maybe you already know this,but drink a pint of milk after inhaling that zinc smoke.Gets rid of the "zinc hangover" real quick.
Mike

Bookmark   January 7, 2007 at 3:09PM
irishbrewer

You might want to look at a Thermal Arc Dragster 85. This is a very compact and portable inverter that runs off 110V.

It is a stick welder which is good for less than ideal conditions like zinc coating, rust, dirt, paint, etc. You could use 3/32" electrodes with it which will put down a decent bead and use multiple passes when necessary for bigger jobs.

A stick welder takes a bit more skill than a wire feed but I'm told that most 110V wire feeds are a waste of time.

Bookmark   January 8, 2007 at 4:11PM
sandylighthouse

The Lincoln flux core IS the way to go. If you ever need a higher amperage, borrow or buy a Lincoln "buzz box" stick welder. I'm on 10 acres and have the same needs for a welder that you mentioned.

Bookmark   February 4, 2007 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
Laser cut blanks
Hello, Looking for place where one can order some laser...
allN
need help identifying
Hi everybody! Just wondering if anyone out there could...
texaspinkpixie
Copper deck railing system
Patio deck on our home was 4"x4" wood posts...
tridogdude
Yard Art
I don't like to toot my own horn. Just wanted to post...
mla2ofus
Copper sinks dont drain
I have a under mount copper sink installed in a granite...
eltrecero
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™