I feel awful approaching menopause--do you??

nancyadamsDecember 17, 2006

Two years ago, my progesterone fell rock bottom while my estrogen was still high. A serious entry into peri-meno!! And I felt like CRAP. Got on compounded progesterone gel, and have spent the next two years going back and forth with severe breast tenderness from the dominance!! NOT fun. I also started having depression every afternoon and had to use St. Johns Wort to tackle it.

Four months ago, I was aware that there was a slight "pulling me down" feeling, like all of this was stressing me. If I did too much activity, I would crash. That happened four months ago one weekend, and another time a month ago.

Two months ago, my estrogen FINALLY fell low enough that my breast tenderness stopped. And I've always been able to use the treadmill successfully or walk. Seemed to have plenty of energy in spite of a slight run down feeling.

But now, that slight "pulling me down" feeling has turned into being slightly achy ALL the time, and I have rolling fatigue in the afternoons. Last weekend, after a lot of activity, I CRASHED one night and felt quite rotten the next day...and things seem worse now.

I've also noticed my stomach not handling food well the last week!! For example, when I jumped off a chair the other day, I was slightly nauseous! Other times, the food seems to make my stomach tighten up. NEVER had this before!

Now understand this: I have hypothyroid and have been been adequately treated with Armour for four years. I have felt wonderful in that arena. I have also never had adrenal fatigue....but wonder if it's happening now, even though a blood pressure supine/standing test doesn't show it.

I also note that my temps are dropping at night! Huh??

Do you identify???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hunter_tx

I'm not certain, but I think that the blood pressure changes occur with complete adrenal exhaustion, not fatigue. You might consider getting your doctor to check your stress hormones (DHEA and cortisol) to see if you having problems in that area. It can be a serious problem, and may be more common than recognized. There's a book I read titled "Stress Less" by Don Colbert MD that has some good information regarding diet, vitamins, and lifestyle that are helpful. It is written from a religious standpoint in some regards, which may or may not be to your liking, but has good information from a medical standpoint also. Other good sources for adrenal fatigue help are John Lee MD's books on menopause and peri-menopause. Before you really focus in on adrenal fatigue, though, find out for certain if that's the problem. Good luck. And I do agree- approaching menopause is really difficult for some of us.
Mrs H

Bookmark   December 18, 2006 at 1:19PM
catherinet

I truly believe that there are some of us who are so dependent on our female hormones, that life becomes pretty bad for us, during this adjustment period. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia shortly before I began having irregular periods, at around age 46. I developed sleep problems, IBS, migraines, severe joint and muscle pains and overwhelming fatigue. I thought it was all my fibromyalgia.....but I've talked to alot of women who seem to develop these symptoms, as they enter perimenopause.
I saw tons of doctors and had tons of tests, and they were all normal.
Over the past 10 years, I've learned to deal with most of the problems. The fatigue has definitely gotten better, but I still have the IBS and sleep problems.
I'm sorry I don't have any good advice for you, except to be sure its nothing else going on, and then read up on fibromyalgia and what things you might do to feel better.
I know menopause isn't a disease........but for some of us, it sure feels like one.
I learned how to budget my energy so that I could get a few things done in the morning, when I had the most energy. I definitely had to re-assess alot of things, and stop expecting myself to be able to do what I used to. Fortunately, I had a very understanding family.
I tried Wellbutrin for awhile, but it made me too nervous. Drugs like Welbutrin, Provigil might help you with your severe fatigue. But then coming off of drugs like that can be a challenge in itself.
About all you can do right now is try to custom-make a plan for yourself, including diet, exercise, and alot of rest. Good luck to you.

Bookmark   December 19, 2006 at 8:31PM
susanjf_gw

catherine, earlier this year saw an ad in the paper looking for patients to participate in a study at u of michigan for right-handed fibromyaliga patients!

now what your dominate hand had to do with it, i havn't a clue. would love to know what the study has found or if its complete. prehaps your dr(s) could check and see...

Bookmark   December 27, 2006 at 7:11PM
marsha_organic

Here is something that might be able to help with a few of the smptoms you are experiencing. This drink can help with energy problems, short term memory loss, and a lot more. Check more at the website below. Hope this can find someone that needs it! Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Feel Better For Life

Bookmark   December 29, 2006 at 3:31PM
catherinet

Susan.......that's a curious combo.....fibro and right-handedness. I wonder?? I guess we don't know if they've already had enough left-handed people sign up and need to even it out?? Very interesting!
I wish I had a better brain. I have a very scientific leaning, intellectually......but then my brain collapses during my thought processes, and I can't follow through my ideas! I just have the feeling that there is some sort of malfunction of things, when our female hormones begin to drop.......but I'm not smart enough to go any further than that!
I would love to do a study on women who develop fibro during perimenopause. I wonder if some other factors in their earlier lives were similar? I really feel if they just spent a little more on research, they could easily figure out what fibromyalgia is.
I do have to say, though, that I believe we still have the same primitive systems that our ancestors had (cave people). And even though it is incredibly complex.......it was not meant for today's style of living. Plus, in my opinion, we're not supposed to live very long after our reproduction-capabilities are over. So I'm thinking we might be expecting too much, to feel like we did in our 20's, at 40 and 50! I hope I don't offend anyone with my theory.

Bookmark   December 30, 2006 at 11:47AM
More Discussions
spotting after menopause
Hi, 53 1/2 yrs old, started spotting this week. Had...
clyo
Natural supplements for menopause?
Hello I was wondering if there are any naturals to...
Leslie810
Does anyone peri have this weird head feeling?
I am 44. I have the regular peri symptoms; hot flashes,...
javabean1
Anyon experience this? Age 53 - very heavy bleeding
I am 53 and had my last "full" period about...
wifetojoeiii
Relevant, funny essay about this mid-life nightmare
https://medium.com/@zabado11/open-letter-to-women-4509c2f65c1d...
zabado
Sponsored Products
Tangier Emerald Green Giclee Shade Plug-In Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Scheherazade Six-Light Pendant in Aged Dark Bronze Finish and Hand Blown Glass i
Bellacor
Essential Cotton Pillow (Case of 10)
Overstock.com
Rustic Reclaimed California Dresser
Dot & Bo
Tolix Marais A56 Armchair
Design Within Reach
Poetry of Trees Giclee Print in Blue
Grandin Road
Keops Ceiling/Wall Combo by Carpyen
$396.00 | Lumens
16" Angled Stone Vessel Sink - Polished Exterior