Early Menopuse

cynthia2sDecember 6, 2001

Hi I'm new to your site. I have been bothered with symptoms that I did not realize could be early menopause. I am 37, but had a hysterectomy at 31. I still have my ovaries and my Dr said I would have normal menopause. Lately I notice that I'm forgetful, seems to be minor details. And I seem to be losing more hair than normal every morning. This is the one concern that has me searching the net for info. Anyone who wants to share their stories I would love to hear them.

Cynthia2s

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lisa12

Hi Cynthia2s,
I am new here also! I would like to say that I too had a hysterectomy at 31 and my ovaries were also not removed. Although my Dr. insisted that this would in no way affect my age of menopause, I had started experiencing several symptoms, especially hot flashes! I was 43 and at my physical (last November) I mentioned my concerns. He then tested my FSH level and was VERY surprised that I was indeed menopausal. Although my own mother was in her mid-forties when she experienced menopause and earlier menopause can be hereditary, I HAVE read that hysterectomy can damage the blood supply to the ovaries, thereby causing early menopause. My doctor does not believe this theory, but I am wondering now if I had not been suffering for several years. It was very frustrating because I starting having lots of difficulty concentrating at work, became very "scatter-brained", and very, very moody! I am now taking Premarin, but am considering alternative methods for coping with the symptoms. (I went of the Premarin for a short while recently because I was having some surgery; the hot flashes returned WITH A VENGENCE!!!) I would definitely voice your concerns with your doctor. I wish I would have sooner. I just thought I was losing my mind! Good luck!

Lisa12

Bookmark   December 6, 2001 at 5:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carina

Hi Cynthia...ditto moody, scatter brained and can't concentrate. Ditto thinning hair, zits, and night sweats. I started "peri menopause" at about 40 (43 now). Loestrin bc pills do help, certainly with regulating what periods I still have, and some of the other symptoms a little. My mom went through early meno, so it does run in my family.

Things like soy and flax seed oil are supposed to help, as they contain some (weak) phyto-estrogen. And I just started taking gingko biloba & ginseng (my mother swears by it) to see if it will kick-start my brain. You could try those.

Bookmark   December 7, 2001 at 6:38AM
More Discussions
Anyone got relief for palpitations?
Hi everyone. I'm 52 and I've been going thru menopause...
grandmapoo
Hydration cubes
Has anyone tried the Bezwecken hydration cubes that...
texasone
Very long menstrual period
Hello, I've been worrying for the past few days, can't...
Mtn_Girl
Does anyone peri have this weird head feeling?
I am 44. I have the regular peri symptoms; hot flashes,...
javabean1
dental woes and menopause
After reading some of the posts here, I feel I can...
janeinspace
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™