Psychological Changes of Menopause

xminionNovember 7, 2010

What happened to all the hobbies and interests I have been working with for the past 30 years of my life? I've let them all slide (along with my figure) into oblivion. Since my periods stoped, it seems that nothing is of any real importance to me anymore. However, generally, most days, my mood is pretty good, it's just that everything I've worked hard on all my life - now I couldn't care less. Why?

Anybody else know what I'm talking about?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
earthygal52

xminion, I could be your twin, lol. I have the same problems. Things that used to be so important just aren't anymore. I am going to the Dr. and try and figure out what I need to feel somewhat normal again. I have been on Paxil, didn't do anything for the moodiness and ANGER. So , I'm slowly weaning myself off of it. I think it could be an undeactive Thyroid and once again I'm getting that checked. It seems very prevelant in Menopausal women, because of the lack of estrogen.

I am taking really good supplements and I'm not seeing any real help from those, but I won't stop. I also started taking 5-HTP, which is an Amino Acid that contains Tryptophan, which is found in Turkey and Milk. It's suppose to help with leveling out moods, help to lose weight and also with sleep.

I might break down and go on Hormone Replacement, but at the lowest level possible, because I have a Family history of Cancer on both sides of the family.

Good luck and don't give up. You are worth it!!!

Susan

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 3:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xminion

Hi Earthygal52,

Yes, that ANGER is really a phase. For me it lasted about 4-5 years followed by now a mellowing (too mellow) out. My experience with St. Johns' Wort had me feeling great - except for the upset stomach - so I stopped. L-Tyrosine, an amino acid, helps with moodiness - but not as much as SJW, IMHO.

For the thyroid thing, I know the Shouldstand position in yoga gets it in good working order - provided that there isn't anything else wrong.

Have your MD check your cortisol/adrenals as long as your going for the thyroid thing..... Best of luck!

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 6:43PM
More Discussions
Anyon experience this? Age 53 - very heavy bleeding
I am 53 and had my last "full" period about...
wifetojoeiii
Need to hear from woman past meno
Hello Everyone, I am 58 and had my lat period at 52...
garule
how long do you have hot flashes and night sweats
I have gone almost two years without a period. The...
azdeb
Breast Tenderness
Hi Everyone, ANyone out there having continual breast...
tomato44
dental woes and menopause
After reading some of the posts here, I feel I can...
janeinspace
Sponsored Products
Livex Manchester 6140-58 Wall Sconce - Imperial Bronze - 8W in. - 6140-58
$109.90 | Hayneedle
Livex Home Basics 1074 Vanity Light - 24W in. - 1074-05
$159.90 | Hayneedle
9-LED RGB Miniature Wedge Base LED Tier Light Bulb
Super Bright LEDs
Moon Valley Nicholas Collection Childrens Food and Fun Table Bench - L510-UNFINI
$124.99 | Hayneedle
Porcelina Crossbar Three-Light Brushed Nickel 3000 Lumen LED Semi-Flush Mount Wi
$868.00 | Bellacor
Badger Basket Embassy Adjustable Wood High Chair with Tray - Cherry - 00934
$99.00 | Hayneedle
Porcelina Crossbar Six-Light Brushed Nickel 5000 Lumen LED Pendant Bowl With Cro
Bellacor
New Hand Knotted 10' X 20' Blue/Green Palace Size Heriz Serapi Wool Rug H3277
BH Sun Inc
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™