Hormone replacement

kathleenNovember 29, 2001

I had a complete hystorectomy 13 years ago. Since then I have gained 40 lbs. I am 53 and am presently on a hormone patch. I use to take a hormone shot. Problem was that I was still having hot flashes - and I was retaining fluid. Then I swithced to ortho prefest - this is normally giving to woman going through menapause - but I wanted to try to see if I would lose some weight. My hot flashes got worse and I didn't lose any weight - so I had to switch back to the patch. I am still having hot flashes but I don't want to increase dosage because I don't want to gain any more weight. I look like I am 3 mos pregnant. Now I don't know what to do. I am so depressed.

My girl friend is in menapause and she takes Triest - derivative of testosterone, Progesterone cream - rub on soft spots, belly/thighs every night, and potassium and magnesium (specially made from her doctor) once a month. She feels great and no weight gain.

I don't think my doctor will prescribe this for me because it is a more natural treatment. You know how traditional doctors are. I am 5'9" and weigh 162. I could handle the weight if my stomach didn't look like a watermellon.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
framboise

It sounds as though what you are taking is not working for you. There are more hormone choice available to you--the few you have mentioned have not exhausted them.

Another way to think of the situation might be that if your doctor is not open to your preferences, to seek another doctor. Your goal should encompass health care that works for you, not your doctor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Survivor's Guide to Surgical Menopause

Bookmark   December 1, 2001 at 2:31AM
More Discussions
Advice on HRT
I am 53, I have not had a period in about 2 years....
gigim
Cramping, but no periods
I'm just wondering if this is a common part of entering...
dee_can1
Aches when getting out of bed, or after sitting
I have been wondering if the following is a symptom...
phyldelux
Menopause without HRT
Is there anyone out there who does not take HRT? I...
susan
Peri-menopause ???
Hi - I'm new here so sorry if this question has been...
Trikki
Sponsored Products
PAR16 LED Bulb, 42 LED
Super Bright LEDs
MaxLite MLFP24DS4235 Direct Lit LED Flat Panel, 3500K
EnvironmentalLights.com
Palermo Dining Outdoor Side Chair Cushion, Patio Furniture
$99.00 | FRONTGATE
Koncept Gen 3 Equo Warm Light LED Floor Lamp Black
Euro Style Lighting
Fabbian | Ray Floor Lamp
YLighting