Bone Density Test

cheerful1_gwNovember 16, 2007

I have osteoporosis in my spine and hip. I have to go for more bloodwork, then the doctor is prescribing Boniva. This hit me like a ton of bricks. I figured I'd get this later on in life, not at age 52.

I was feeling good the other day when I started my HRT, thinking, my problems will start going away, now this happens.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shotzy52

I am so sorry cheerful, I have heard that of all the drugs, this is the one with the least side effects. Do the drs. have a exercise plan or diet for you?

Bookmark   November 16, 2007 at 9:43PM
cheerful1_gw

I have not spoken personally to the doctor yet (the nurse gave me the results). I have to go for bloodwork to test my thyroid, Vitamin D and calcium levels. Once I get those results back I want to talk to her.

I've heard that weight bearing exercises and walking are good. I'm going to start doing my homework on this subject to see what I can do to get this under control.

I just started HRT last week (Activella) which is also supposed to help with osteporosis (although I didn't know I had it at the time).

Bookmark   November 19, 2007 at 6:40AM
shotzy52

Sounds like you are on the right track. It is a lesson to us all to start with the weight bearing exercises if we havent already. I am going see about switching from Prempro to Activella in March at my annual. Have a great thanksgiving. Let us know how things are progressing. Shotzy

Bookmark   November 19, 2007 at 6:56PM
cheerful1_gw

Thanks, Shotzy, and a great Thanksgiving to you too.

I'm going for my bloodwork today. My GYN wants the following tests: calcium, Vitamin D, parathyroid hormone, alkaline phosphatase, TSH. I think this is to rule out possible causes of the osteoporosis.

Bookmark   November 20, 2007 at 7:15AM
cheerful1_gw

All the bloodwork came back normal. I'm going to start on Boniva. I'm nervous about it, but will keep my fingers crossed for minimal side effects.

Bookmark   November 28, 2007 at 11:58AM
More Discussions
spotting after menopause
Hi, 53 1/2 yrs old, started spotting this week. Had...
clyo
Natural supplements for menopause?
Hello I was wondering if there are any naturals to...
Leslie810
Excessive burping and fluttering....
lately, starting after I exercise....has anyone else...
ballysharon
Very long menstrual period
Hello, I've been worrying for the past few days, can't...
Mtn_Girl
premenstrual nausea when perimenopausal?
Well, I've gone from having no PMS symptoms at all,...
tanama
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™