Is there a resale market for 50+ yr old metal cabinets?

LF123January 3, 2011

I have a 58 yr old kitchen that still has the original cabinets that are metal. My GC and decorator have heard that there is a resale market for these? My decorator even thinks they are cool! Before they are ripped out and placed on the front curb, I thought I should research this- according to my initial research they were the top line back in that day. Does anyone have any information of this?

I, also, have the original range that is 58 years old. It is a 40 in GE that resembles a studebaker with 2 ovens. In the 30 years I have lived in the house, I have only had to replace the light bulb. It will not die!!!!

I am rewarding myself with new everything as nothing in this kitchen will die young!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
artemis78

Yes, I'd guess you'll have no trouble finding takers for both---there are definitely lovers of old stoves and steel cabinets out there! How much you'll get for them depends on where you live, what kind of condition they're in, and how common they are in your area, but if you run an ad on your local Craigslist (and see what's already on there) you'll get a better sense of it. There's bound to be someone going for a vintage look on a budget who will love them. You might also be able to find someone who will come remove them in exchange for taking them out of there, which could save on demo and disposal costs, too.

Bookmark   January 3, 2011 at 11:30PM
kathec

Yes, someone somewhere will want these. You might just find though that brand new stuff doesn't last or hold up as well as your "will not die" cabs or range.

Someone recently put some metal cabinets up on craigslist in my area. They were turquoise, someone snatched them up within a week.

If you can't sell them, donate them to Habitat for Humanity Re-store.
Good luck!

Bookmark   January 3, 2011 at 11:45PM
dianalo

At one point I was seriously considering actual vintage metal cabs for our kitchen but could never come up with as many as we needed, so wimped out and are doing white thermofoil slab fronts in hopes of approximating the look.
I know CL is a good place, and ebay as well. You can google "architectural salvage" and see what is near you. You may get some good money for them if they are in decent shape.

Bookmark   January 3, 2011 at 11:49PM
marcydc

I put mine down in our new storage room/man work room. They were wonderful. Great latches for earthquake country too!
The old range is down in the basement too. I'm sure there is a market if you put them on CL.

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 12:19AM
antss

Sure - but it's not huge and you'll have to do some work to market them.

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 12:36AM
laughablemoments

I'd love to know where you are. . .
My DH would like to get some more of these cabs. (We currently have 1 sink base w/ enamel sink that we are very fond of.) They are such sturdy cabs. Is your stove a 6 burner? I just posted a newer vintage stove we're considering on my thread "mom of 6" here at GW.

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 1:02AM
dianalo

LF - just curious... where are you and how wide is your sink cabinet?

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 1:04AM
pinch_me

YES! There is a whole 'cult' out there who would snatch those up. I am in that group. If anyone is looking, I know where there is a sink base w/sink. North Iowa.

Here is a link that might be useful: Retro Renovation

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 6:25AM
skyedog

The following is a link to the postwar steel cabinet forum on Retro Renovation. I think her site is hard to navigate and it isn't easy to see that you can post cabinets for sale there or at least get an idea how much they sell for.

I sent the same route as Marcy and put my St. Charles cabinets in my laundry room. They are fantastic cabinets and look like the day they were put in (1964).

Here is a link that might be useful: postwar steel cabinets

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 9:02AM
davidaanderson

Here is a link to some vintage metal St. Charles cabinets currently for sale on the Retro Renovation website.

http://retrorenovation.com/2012/04/06/custom-green-1964-st-charles-kitchen/

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage St. Charles Metal Cabinets on Ebay

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 5:30PM
manyquestions

I'm really late to the party here, but if anyone is still looking at this thread, I have a full set of St. Charles butter yellow cabinets with walnut doors on the upper cabinets for sale. Contact me if you're interested. rojodeuce@yahoo.com

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 5:15PM
peggy62

I have a full kitchen of vintage St. Charles metal cabinets that we will be removing for a kitchen remodel.Originally they were turquoise, then painted yellow and most recently electrostatically painted white. Large kitchen with lots of cabinets. Would like them to find a new home and not be trashed.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 6:27PM
susiemw

I have a single white upper metal cabinet and the original metal cabinet for a cast iron double dish drainer sink.. .wish I had more.

there is an architectural salvage place in Kalamazoo that has had these on occasion.

If anyone has white or tourquoise metal cabinets I'd be interested. I'm in northern Indiana.

Susan

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 6:42PM
eleena

Manyquestions,

I have e-mailed you.

Tx!

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 9:54PM
lklingner

Hi -- I'm in the market for metal cabinets in good shape. I'm in Asheville, NC, but am willing to get a truck and come to you.. We're re-doing a house circa 1960 and am need of just about everything from that era. THanks!

Leslie

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:38PM
pealetva

Dear Leslie,
we are located in Alexandria, VA (possibly driving distance for you) and are just finishing our kitchen renovation and have a complete set of base and wall metal cabinets from 1957. They are generally in good shape considering their age and free of dents, except for some rust under the former sink cabinet that can be refinished. Please see the photo, I can send more if you are interested in buying them for your remodel.
Sincerely, Gunnar

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 4:40PM
torontotim

I'd suggest there's a very strong market for metal cabinets.

Check out Garage Journal (website). It's where those of us who prefer to deck out our workshops hang out and you'd be amazed at some of the shops out there. Metal kitchen cabinets would be scooped up very quickly I'd expect.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 7:07PM
More Discussions
Can you please take a look at my layout?
I'm currently getting quotes for cabinets and want...
Carolyn
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
Lumber Liquidators Exposé on 60 Minutes
Did anyone see the 60 Minutes Exposé on Lumber Liquidators...
The Kitchen Place
Quartz Countertop Color
We are going with quartz countertop for our kitchen...
kathy6421
Kitchen reveals and DAT threads with missing photos and text
I’ve been looking at Gardenweb threads that have...
mudhouse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™