translate old recipe
Hi! I have an abundance of tomatoes and would like to use my great grandmothers recipe book to make Tomato Relish. Problem is a lot of her wording is unfamiliar to me. Can any more knowledgeable person translate this recipe?
Here are my questions:
1. How many tomatoes in a pk. (peck?)
2. Do you really think she means 3 bunches of celery? Bunches and Pecks which is what I'm assuming she means for the tomato quantity are kind of subjective, aren't they?
3. What does she mean by, (drain in bag overnight?) what kind of bag?
4. grind onions, celery, peppers and horseradish. (does this mean an actual grinder? won't that make it very mushy?
5. What type of vinegar would be your best guess.
6. If there is no cooking, how long will it keep?
Here's the recipe as written.
1pk Ripe tomatoes chopped
1 cup horseradish
3 bunches celery
12 large onions
3 red peppers
2oz. mustard seed
2# brown sugar
5 cups vinegar
Scald, peel and chop tomatoes, add salt. let drain in bag overnight. grind celery, onions, peppers and horseradish. Stir this in tomatoes. Then add mustard seed, sugar and vinegar. put in jars, no cooking required.
p.s. there is also a great recipe for "booze" that when finished, you bury it in the yard! lol!
Thank you so much for your time and interest.