? regarding black Cohosh

Heathen1October 19, 2006

Does Black Cohosh raise blood pressure? I recently started taking it, and my bp jumped 20 points! both systolic and diastolic. I am on a lot of other meds, but I think that Black Cohosh is the culprit.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Heathen1

Well, I thought I'd say more about side affects of Black Cohosh. I am an herbal person, I tend, until now, to get less side affects from herbs than western meds... BUT this is the side affects that I got from taking Black Cohosh. Increased sweating (and I need THAT? doing that already!) higher BP, increased heart rate and facial swelling, maybe from the raised BP? And headaches :o(
I am posting this, just in case someone else gets these side affects...

Bookmark   October 20, 2006 at 10:42AM
patly

Thanks for the post.
I usually prefer herbal or natural remedies too, but I have learned that just becase something is labeled, natural or herbal, it doesn't mean that the side effects are always benign or helpful.

Bookmark   October 23, 2006 at 12:13AM
Heathen1

Yeah, it sure would be nice to have some RELIABLE testing done on herbs... so you could know what to expect. My BF took some milk thistle... on the advice of his doctor and it reacted with his blood pressure medicine and formed an estrogen type chemical and gave him boobs! Luckily, his doc knew about that and wasn't surprised. I didn't know that could happen!

Bookmark   October 24, 2006 at 9:42AM
elizabeth_craig

Only certain companies do ANY testing on herbal remedies. Its takes pharacuetical companies years to do drug testing, but there are no strict rules with herbal stuff. You really need to be careful what you buy.
As far as the estrogen goes, what happened to your husband is a documented side effect of that hormone. Environmental estrogen is a real problem for some folks. I read about a chicken farm in the UK who used estrogen pellets to caponize the birds, and the grandfather and his little granddaughter developed breasts because they ate the chicken necks. The neck is where the pellet was inserted.

Bookmark   October 24, 2006 at 11:33AM
More Discussions
Weird Adrenalin Rushes
I'm brand new to this wonderful forum, and wondering...
Robbie_WY
Peri-menopause ???
Hi - I'm new here so sorry if this question has been...
Trikki
how long do you have hot flashes and night sweats
I have gone almost two years without a period. The...
azdeb
Need to hear from woman past meno
Hello Everyone, I am 58 and had my lat period at 52...
garule
Anyon experience this? Age 53 - very heavy bleeding
I am 53 and had my last "full" period about...
wifetojoeiii
Sponsored Products
Mysterious Black Wallpaper R1356, sample
Walls Republic
Trac-Master Mini Biax Wall Wash Head
Lightology
Monogram Correspondence Cards
$24.00 | Horchow
New Original Pure Silk Kashan Hand Knotted 4x6 Sunshine Gold Oriental Rug H604
BH Sun Inc
Van Teal Run Away Chrome 32" High Black Table Lamp
Euro Style Lighting
Furniture of America Mario Leatherette Dining Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™