Does taking HRT mean you will get your periods back?

GinnyOctober 3, 2001

eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww. I do NOT want periods again. Have not had one in a year. The hot flashes, insomnia and mood swings are the pits, but we (my family and I) will just have to suffer if HRT means periods again! Help!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daphnel

Hi Ginny,

In my own experience I was on the BC pill for four years, went off to measure my hormones, found I was no longer ovulating, switched to HRT and haven't had even so much as a spot in over six months.

Bookmark   October 3, 2001 at 3:40PM
leighkeel_yahoo_com

It depends on what kind of "HRT" you take. Cyclical regimens (estrogen for 21 days, progestin for 7-12 days) which are the only ones known to protect the uterus adequately almost always result in regular withdrawal bleeding. Continuous regimens almost always cause some degree of irregular bleeding for the first year or so after they are started. In some cases this irregular bleeding continues indefinitely.

Bookmark   October 3, 2001 at 4:53PM
Bobbiec_alltel_net

I was skipping months at age 45, and then started experiencing hot flashes at 46. My Doctor put me on Fem HRT in March of 2000, and I haven't had a period since August of 2000......which is great by the way!

Bookmark   October 9, 2001 at 3:18PM
amaskgirl_aol_com

I took Premarin for about three years, then in May of 2001 my doctor suggested HRT because I was always complaining of the bleeding at the end of the month. Thought by the time you were 56 you shouldn't be doing that anymore! Anyway, have been on HRT for past six months, doing great. Then about a week ago started bleeding -- not much but enough you have to take care. Does anyone know what's going on now? Thanks.

Bookmark   November 20, 2001 at 9:57AM
TennB

I started Ortho Prefest about 2 1/2 weeks ago. My GYN told me that I would most likely experience some spotting for a while. I have not had a period in over 2 years (yeah - it took me a while to decide on HRT). Well guess what. Today I have started spotting. Not bad, but it's definately there. This is the only problem I have had and as long as it doesn't get any worse or last too long, I think I can take it. But I don't really want to! The only good thing about menopause was to have no period anymore. Now that's gone - just like the memory, the energy, the tight skin, the perky boobs! Isn't it wonderful to be a woman?

Bookmark   November 21, 2001 at 11:41PM
More Discussions
premenstrual nausea when perimenopausal?
Well, I've gone from having no PMS symptoms at all,...
tanama
Anyone got relief for palpitations?
Hi everyone. I'm 52 and I've been going thru menopause...
grandmapoo
Relevant, funny essay about this mid-life nightmare
https://medium.com/@zabado11/open-letter-to-women-4509c2f65c1d...
zabado
Very long menstrual period
Hello, I've been worrying for the past few days, can't...
Mtn_Girl
Peri-menopause ???
Hi - I'm new here so sorry if this question has been...
Trikki
Sponsored Products
Clear Glass Curved Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware
IO Task Lamp by Pablo Designs
$260.00 | Lumens
Clayton leather overstuffed modern sofa
Interior Define
Michael McHale Designs | Crystal Gear Pendant
YLighting
9'x12' Bright Colors Sari Silk Suzani Design Handmade Oriental Rug Sh19774
1800 Get A Rug