Vaginal Atrophy Strategies

MILfromHeckOctober 9, 2013

I'm 61 years old, and had my last period about 8 years ago, so I am post-menopausal. I also haven't had sex in months, because of the pain and dryness. My husband is a good guy and isn't being a jerk about it, but we would both like things to change. So, after talking to my doctor who confirmed that atrophy was a real problem for me, this is what I'm doing.

First: My doc gave me a prescription for Femring which I have not yet inserted, due to the pain of doing so. However, I intend to use it as soon as I can get it in place without crying. Estridiol will, I hope, keep my tissue less dry and shrunken than it is now.

Second: Replens. I will use this every other day; a moisturizer can't hurt, and it might help. It's certainly worth a try.

Third: Vaginal dilators. This is something I haven't read about in the posts here about atrophy, but they seem like a good idea. I ordered mine online. I don't want to look like I'm shilling for a particular site, but just google it, and you'll find places. They consist of 5 tapered cylinders in graduated sizes, from about pinky-finger sized to probably average penis-sized. Being the impatient type, I started with the largest one, which was a mistake, so I've scaled back and using the next one down. I use a lot of Astroglide, a slow and careful insertion, and then I just lie there for 5 minutes, once in the morning and once at night.

At first it was very uncomfortable; the burning was pretty bad, but now, after three days, this moderately-sized dilator doesn't hurt much at all. Tonight I'm going to step up to the largest one again, and see what happens.

I think the estridiol and the Replens are going to help a lot, but the dilators I think may be equally important. I don't want to go from zero to 60 with my husband until I know that I can take it; I think he feels worse than I do when it hurts so much.

Anyway, that's my plan. I hope it works!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MILfromHeck

Just a quick follow-up: It worked! No pain, none. I feel 20 years younger, well, at least "down there!"

Femring + Replens + dilators. A winning combination! :-D

Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 4:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sam0221

Hi ladies, it has been a long time since I was on here but I first told you of the Endocrine Mender I was taking and it did help but never got complete relief so finally went to health dept and saw a ARNP. I told her I thought I had Lichen Sclorsis so she had to do a biopsy to diagnose it. It was painful but it was positive. She gave me a salve (prescription) Clobetasol Propionate. It has saved me. I feel completely normal and have since only a few weeks of using it. If I feel any twinges I put a little on and back to normal. I can not say about intercourse as I don't have a partner to try that :) but I really think I could. I hope you will push to get diagnosed if you are like I was: I could not move without tearing, it burned and/or itched most of the time, was white with what looked like scar tissue . I was miserable and depressed. Please seek help. The med is not very costly and last a long time. Best wishes to you all. P.S. I was depressed cause all I read was there was no cure for Lichen Sclorsis, well this may not be a CURE but sure is a great treatment.I can live with that.

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 1:41AM
More Discussions
Over active Libido..
I have heard of losing your sex drive during menapause,...
vicki_Indiana
Is this temporary or is my life effectively over?
I am 51 years old and I haven�t had a period...
Bubbbles
post menopausal
Is there a board for post menopausal women or for women...
emee
Advice on HRT
I am 53, I have not had a period in about 2 years....
gigim
Complete identity crisis with my body
Hi Ladies, I am now 58. Had my last period at 52 1/2....
garule
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™