trouble with periods

gwenOctober 28, 2001

I am 44 years old for the last couple of years I have had off and on again periods. Sometimes I don't get them for a couple of months then I get them and they are very heavy and don't know when to stop. I was checked for everything under the sun a year ago and found nothing wrong. The Dr.s chaucked it up to my weight. " I gained alot of weight after I quit smoking". I lost abit of weight and they seemed to stop. Has anyone else ever experianced this kind of bleeding?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LynneChrys_aol_com

It's typical of peri-menopause. Without ovulation, progesterone is nt being produced, causing an imbalance in favor of estrogen. The natural progesterone cream from the health store is safe and corrects the imbalance.

Bookmark   October 28, 2001 at 6:40PM
ebbe_hartel_net

I'm 45 and have been going thru that for about 6 years. This summer had a 5 month lapse with no period. Then there was a 6 1/2 week lapse between periods. Who knows when it'll happen again. A few years ago, when my period came, I'd have my regular period for 3 days, then it would stop a couple days, then I'd get a 2nd period for 3 days. Fortunately, that has stopped.

I'm more concerned because each year I go in for a Pap, I'm told it looks suspicious. They put me on a vaginal med, I go back for another Pap 4 months later and then it's fine. Following year it's the same routine. Two most recent blood tests show a low WBC, so I don't know what's going on.

Bookmark   October 29, 2001 at 5:27PM
Peggy_mypad_com

Gwen, I experienced heavy, irregular periods for a year or more before a hysterectomy. I also had previously had about 3 years of abnormal pap smears, which was done every 6 months. I had fibroids and also endometriosis which resulted in a hysterectomy. The heavy bleeding in itself was at first thought to be the beginning of menopause, but combined with the other factors proved not to be. I doubt if this helps any, just wanted to let you know another persons' experience so you know you're not alone.

Bookmark   October 30, 2001 at 10:16AM
MarionR

I will be 51 in 3 months and have been extremely regular (23 - 28 days)since I was 13 except for 5 pregnancies and a stretch of time after I had my tubes tied 18 years ago. Lately, though, my periods are so heavy with a lot of clotting and quite painful for several days. I used to have pain for only 1 or 2 days. Also, I have brown spotting in between my periods. Is this a sign that perhaps monopause is coming? I have a doctor's appointment at the end of January. Is there a test to take that will tell whether or not menopause is near?

Bookmark   December 25, 2001 at 12:22AM
aka_raeanne

Marion - it is a quick and easy blood test to tell if you are menopausal.

Gwen - My Dr. wouldn't check my blood until I missed my period for 6 mos. as I was too young to have menopause. I was in my late 30's. I suffered needlessly for years - not knowing what was wrong with me. I got irregular or very heavy periods. I had the mood swings, cried all the time, etc. I could have been treating these symptoms. Insist that they check you for menopause or find another dr.

Bookmark   December 26, 2001 at 11:18AM
More Discussions
Relevant, funny essay about this mid-life nightmare
https://medium.com/@zabado11/open-letter-to-women-4509c2f65c1d...
zabado
how long do you have hot flashes and night sweats
I have gone almost two years without a period. The...
azdeb
Very long menstrual period
Hello, I've been worrying for the past few days, can't...
Mtn_Girl
Menopause without HRT
Is there anyone out there who does not take HRT? I...
susan
Advice on HRT
I am 53, I have not had a period in about 2 years....
gigim
Sponsored Products
Remer by Nameeks Q82US Single Handle Pull Out Kitchen Faucet - REMER Q82US
$655.00 | Hayneedle
My Sunshine Throw Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
'May Your Troubles Be Less' Box Sign
$9.49 | zulily
Furniture of America Liam Full-size Bed and Nightstand Bedroom Set
Overstock.com
Remer by Nameeks N05 Tub Filler - REMER N05
$241.00 | Hayneedle