Food Mill recommendations

lizbeth-gardenerAugust 17, 2013

Am thinking about replacing an old red handled, aluminum Foley food mill.

In looking at descriptions/reviews seems like so much of new stuff is "made in China" carp!

Does anyone have a newer one they love or an older s.s. type that I might find on e-bay?

Does anyone know anything about the Victoria that separates seeds & pulp out or the Squeezo brand that does the same? It looks like both of these are available on e-bay in all metal (maybe s.s.).

Liz

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grainlady_ks

The Foley Food Mill now comes in stainless steel.

I have a friend who has a Villaware Victorio Food Strainer who has let me borrow it a few times for "BIG" projects. More money, but it does the trick on large quantities of food. It's a well-made machine. My friend makes good use of it with her giant garden, fruit trees/bushes, plus she's a great cook.

Tomatoes and other vegetables and fruits are easily processed. Great for anyone who makes jams, thick pureed soups, vegetables sauces, and baby food. It's also easier to crank and control than a regular food mill, although the OXO works well, which is what she uses for small jobs.

My friend can reduce 5-pounds of tomatoes into puree in just a few minutes with the residue being expelled from the long funnel on the side. I've seen her process 2-pounds of cooked kidney beans for a dip. She also uses it when she needs to make piles of mashed potatoes for the holidays. Turns unpeeled cooked potatoes into a smooth-textured mash. People who like lumpy mashed potatoes may not like the texture.

There are additional attachments so you can process a wider variety of foods - salsa screen, medium-coarse pumpkin and squash screen, grape spiral, and a fine berry screen.

It clamps onto a table or counter top. When I've borrowed it I've used my wood-topped rolling cart that I use for other things I need to clamp onto a sturdy surface (my many mills, wheatgrass juicer, and grinders). I'd never clamp things on my counter top or table, which is why I have a cart with a wooden top that rolls into my pantry when not in use.

You disassemble it for washing by hand.

That's the only ones I've had any experience with, other than my own small stainless steel food mill. It usually comes down to what are you going to use it for, how often, storage, and how much money are you willing to invest.

-Grainlady

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 4:56PM
mabeldingeldine_gw

I agree with Grainlady's recommendation of the tomato press. Mine is an older Italian one, but similar. If the new Villaware press is as well made you will find it worth every penny. I love mine.

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:12PM
annie1992

I have an old Squeezo, all metal, works like a champ but it's kind of a pain to clean small seeds, etc, from the strainers.

I can go through a bushel of apples or tomatoes for sauce in very little time, though. Mine was the right price too, a hand me down from my mother!

Annie

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 11:16PM
More Discussions
roasted brussel sprouts with pancetta and onions
Son has requested this for Easter dinner. Would love...
glenda_al
Tried And True "Edible" Brownie Recipe? (Where Legal)
Here is a cooking question, more specifically a baking...
johnliu_gw
Need side dish idea and thoughts on dessert
I have been asked to bring a side dish for Easter -...
susan_in_nc
More Sourdough Discard & Baker's Kaffeeklatsch
We left off at Troisième I haven't had time and...
plllog
As Seen on Food Fortunes -- Can you measure flour?
Have you seen this show? Shark Tank for the comestibles...
plllog
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™