Stopped HRT and now periods started??

kel3September 17, 2013

I was put on vivelle dot and prometrium (daily--no off days) 2 years ago for menopausal symptoms. I was still having sporadic periods but blood work showed I was "post" menopausal--I'm 48 yrs old with a family history of early menopause. After a few months I quit having periods all together (for a total of 10 months). At the 10 month mark, I developed extremely sore/tender breasts. In doing some research, one of the things I found is that it can be caused by too much estrogen. That scared me! I decided to go off all HRT. After 3 weeks of being off, I had a period--I was so surprised! Now, a month later, I am having another period (very heavy).

So now I'm wondering, was the HRT keeping me from having periods--is this why they stopped altogether? Should I have been taking a break from the prometrium (my doctor kept insisting I didn't need to). I'm so confused about it all now and my doctor doesn't seem to be really knowledgable about HRT as far as I can tell.

Thanks for any insight any of you may have.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agatha275

I was taking .9 Premarin and medroxyprogesterone for 1 and 1/2 years and my doctor stopped the medroxyprogesterone for 10 weeks due to my weepiness. My hot flashes returned, so I was instructed to take the medroxyprogesterone again. Took for 10 days and now having a heavy period after not having had one for 3 years. Can anyone help?

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 4:46PM
More Discussions
Need to hear from woman past meno
Hello Everyone, I am 58 and had my lat period at 52...
grule
question about estrace cream
Is estrace cream a bio-identical hormone? Is it safe...
cindy_pond
Very long menstrual period
Hello, I've been worrying for the past few days, can't...
Mtn_Girl
Aches when getting out of bed, or after sitting
I have been wondering if the following is a symptom...
phyldelux
7 days short of a year without a period then BAM!
Bottle of wine has been waiting for 11/7 to celebrate...
Amy-from-Westport
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™