SURE you can't get pregnant? Test?

rozeSeptember 9, 2010

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new here, but have found the previous posts really helpful.

I am 47 and haven't had a period in 3 years. I've had a few slight other symptoms of menopause and my doctor said two years ago that's all it is.

HOWEVER! I know they say that when you haven't had a period for a year (or 2 years for early menopause), you can't get pregnant. But is there any test you can do to know for SURE? I am really nervous to stop using birth control (condoms), but would like the freedom to stop. Obviously so would my husband. :D

Any info on this? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marybelle_2009

Hi Roze, I was on the pill for years and when I turned 48 my Dr. had me go off for a specified amount of time - probably a month - and then they ran a test to see if I was still ovulating. The first test said I was, so I stayed on the pill for a couple more years, and then the next test indicated i was menopausal. I'm pretty sure it was a blood test. Good luck!

Bookmark   September 10, 2010 at 1:44PM
shjlet

I would be very interested if you find out if there is a blood test. I have asked my doctor when I would no longer have to worry and never get any real answer. It has never been suggested that there might be a blood test. It might be that you have to request it using the correct wording.

Bookmark   September 10, 2010 at 7:46PM
cheerful1_gw

I haven't had a period for three years, and my bloodwork says I'm postmenopausal. I asked my GYN if I could get pregant, and she said no.

Bookmark   September 17, 2010 at 6:46AM
jannie

There is a blood test for FSH - follicle stimulating hormone.

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
Excessive burping and fluttering....
lately, starting after I exercise....has anyone else...
ballysharon
Peri-menopause ???
Hi - I'm new here so sorry if this question has been...
Trikki
Weird Adrenalin Rushes
I'm brand new to this wonderful forum, and wondering...
Robbie_WY
Is this temporary or is my life effectively over?
I am 51 years old and I haven�t had a period...
Bubbbles
Relevant, funny essay about this mid-life nightmare
https://medium.com/@zabado11/open-letter-to-women-4509c2f65c1d...
zabado
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™