how long will these hot flashes last???

vickilynn-2010August 12, 2010

i'm 54. i do get my period but it is irregular. sometimes every month then nothing for 3-4 months.i've been getting night sweats for about a year,nothing very serious.then last week it all changed. i woke up one night with my pj top so wet i could have wrung it out. then the hot flashes started..every day..several times a day..sometimes several times an hour.my FSH says i'm nowhere near menopause.i was hoping to read that these "episodes" will be over, in say, six months or so. i don't know whether to laugh or cry. at least i'm not alone :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigdogmom48

Don't hold your breath. :) It's been about 12 years since I hit menopause and they haven't stopped yet. I don't know what I would do without the phytoestrogen. It has eliminated the night sweats and most of the hot flashes. Additionally the hot flashes I do get are not so intense. I also keep a bottle of water in the refrigerator. When I feel a hot flash coming on (for some reason I get very thirsty right before I get one) I drink my fill of the cold water and it seems to cool me from the inside.
One thing I have noticed from this board as well as friends is that symptoms, severity, and longevity of symptoms vary greatly from person to person.

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 1:38PM
vickilynn-2010

12 years :0

just shoot me now

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 10:27PM
bigdogmom48

Like I said, Vicki, everyone is different and you may be done with the "power surges" tomorrow. I would recommend talking to your doctor about what you can do to relieve the discomfort, but don't forget to check out herbal remedies that your doctor may not be familiar with, or even discount. Most healthfood stores carry several different brands of phytoestrogens and these do work for me (may not work for everyone). Just make sure you get a reputable brand that consistantly uses the same formula. I have heard that there are some herbal companies out there that don't always measure carefully.

Bookmark   August 15, 2010 at 2:40PM
More Discussions
Need to hear from woman past meno
Hello Everyone, I am 58 and had my lat period at 52...
grule
Over active Libido..
I have heard of losing your sex drive during menapause,...
vicki_Indiana
Relevant, funny essay about this mid-life nightmare
https://medium.com/@zabado11/open-letter-to-women-4509c2f65c1d...
zabado
post menopausal
Is there a board for post menopausal women or for women...
emee
dental woes and menopause
After reading some of the posts here, I feel I can...
janeinspace
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™