Nuva ring / Provera

julie_vaAugust 9, 2003

I am not sure where to go with this question. There is a lot of talk on this forum of hormones (!) so I thought I'd start here. If you know of a better place, please let me know.

I am not yet menopausal, but know it is just around the corner. My periods have been real screwy for about 10 years. I am 48. The doctor has given me a prescription for Provera to bring on a period, and I will begin it tomorrow.

She then gave me samples of the Nuva Ring to be inserted once I start bleeding and before day 5. It's a ring that stays in for 3 weeks, then out for a week to have a period. Just like the pill, except I don't need to remember to take one each day. Also, since it is localized, the side effects aren't supposed to be as bad as with the pill.

Has anyone here used it? If so, do you like it? Does it do a good job regulating? Did you get a lot of side effects?Can a tampon be used with it, since there is a chance I could still be having a period when it comes time to insert a new one?

Thank you in advance for any information you are able to share.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PeaBee4

I would worry about infection from inserting something and leaving it in that long.

Don't worry about side effects of oral medication until you have taken it awhile. You may not have any.

Bookmark   November 24, 2003 at 1:30AM
Lois_MO

Now is the time for you to read Dr. John Lee's book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause." About $13 at most health food stores. Tells you what things are good for you and what are not. He was telling us several years ago how harmful and dangerous synthetic hormones are for us and the dr's were still telling us they were good for our hearts! YIKES - and I took them for 15 yrs before I read his book. Get it!!!!
Lois

Bookmark   November 27, 2003 at 4:39PM
julie_va

I forgot I posted this question, since I got no responses early on, and I stopped checking. Lois, thanks for the book recommendation. I will go look for it immediately.

Just an update, I have been using the ring since I posted as a 6 month trial. My 6 months will be up soon and I need to make a decision. The dr. said she would let me use it until I am 52 if I like it. I am definately going to read the book before I make my decision.

As for the results, eehh, I am not really sure. I am regular for the first time in years. I was on the pill years ago and I guess I expected the same kind of period, lighter. That's not really the case. Sometimes I begin spotting before I take it out on Sunday. It continues throughout the week then my period actually begins on Thurs. or Fri. Sun. tends to be my heaviest day, and that is the day the new ring needs to go back in. Don't like that. I thought it would be over by then. By the following Mon or Tues. it is all over.

Back to the research. Thanks so much.

Bookmark   January 7, 2004 at 3:01PM
More Discussions
Hydration cubes
Has anyone tried the Bezwecken hydration cubes that...
texasone
post menopausal
Is there a board for post menopausal women or for women...
emee
how long do you have hot flashes and night sweats
I have gone almost two years without a period. The...
azdeb
Over active Libido..
I have heard of losing your sex drive during menapause,...
vicki_Indiana
question about estrace cream
Is estrace cream a bio-identical hormone? Is it safe...
cindy_pond
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™