Need camera advice, please

janet_ksAugust 4, 2014

I haven't own a decent camera in, well, probably decades, but I now have a project that requires good, detailed photos just like the ones you folks post here. Can you tell me what kind of camera you use and whether or not you like it?

Thanks,
Janet

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dcarch7

How about a little more detail?

What will you be photographing? In what kind of settings (lighting? distance? size of objects, etc.)?

dcarch

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 3:14PM
janet_ks

Well, my current project is pictures of craft projects of various sizes. Photos will be taken in a home setting, probably 1 to 6 feet away. But, I also would like to be able to post food pictures here (on the rare occasions I have something worthy) and I'd like to take pictures of my little dog. So, basically a good general purpose camera. Thanks!

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 3:41PM
publickman

I have a Sony camera similar to this that I use at home and at work, and I like the results I get with it. The main drawback is that there is a menu button on the back that I accidentally press sometimes, and I wish they would put that somewhere else. The camera automatically adjusts for whatever ambient light there is, and so I do not need to do much in the way of color correction.

My brother works at Sony, and so we get employee discounts, but sometimes the items are still cheaper at Amazon, unless Sony is having a special sale, which they generally do in December. Then things are marked down to half price, if they are being discontinued.

Lars

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 7:02PM
dcarch7

Lars' camera is a great camera.

But if ypou don't want to spend the money, you can prbably get by with less. A simpler point-&-shoot can take fairly decent photos nowadays.

1. A camera with 10 M pixels or more will work for your needs.

2. Optical zoom of 10x will be OK.

3. macro feature.

4. Large view finder.

You will get better pictures using a tripod to avoid blurring.

You never should use the flash. Get a highpower daylight CFL bulb like the one linked below.

dcarch

Here is a link that might be useful: CFL bulb

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 9:34PM
janet_ks

Thank you both so much for your help!! Although the Sony is a little more than I wanted to spend, you've given me some guildelines and parameters for when I start shopping. I appreciate the time you both took to respond.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 9:03AM
arley_gw

Ditto to the above; BTW that bulb that dcarch linked to is great for starting tomato seedlings.

You don't need to spend a whole lot to take decent pictures. The picture I've included was taken with the macro function of a fairly inexpensive camera (a 7.1 megapixel Canon PowerShot A570IS--it was around $150, but they no longer make it--available used for around $50 or so)

The GW website makes the image smaller, but in full size you can easily read the bow maker's name.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 9:59AM
sushipup1

Can anyone find that recent thread about cameras that recommended a good cell phone? I think that Ann uses her Galaxy 5 phone, and no one gets better pictures!

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 10:22AM
lazy_gardens

Janet -

Good lighting - light aimed at the object diagonally, from both sides of the camera - is essential.

I use cheap halogen desk lights for small stuff, and big halogen work lights for large stuff.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 10:29AM
dcarch7

It takes years of practice, many lessons in schooling, thousands of dollars in equipment to become a professional photographer.

But it only takes a few dollars and a few hours to learn to take very presentable pictures.

I guarantee you will be admired for taking beautiful pictures if you go the the "Gallery" side of this cooking forum and search for "canarybird" photo tips, you will be a happy photographer.

dcarch

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics tips

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 10:45AM
ann_t

Janet, As Helene mentioned (thanks Helene) I recently started taking all my food photos using a Samsung Galaxy S5 (phone). It has a 16 mp camera and it doesn't get much easier to use. Just point and shoot.

I haven't used my digital camera since I bought this phone.

~Ann

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 1:30PM
janet_ks

Wow, it looks like I have some thinking to do. I don't have a smartphone and not sure that I want one, but I do really like Ann's pics. Yesterday, I was looking in the direction of maybe a Canon PowerShot ELPH 150 IS, but was talking to a friend last night and she said that her iPad takes pretty good pics and I have been thinking about getting an iPad. Maybe I'll explore that first...I don't know, gotta think about it.

Thanks for pointing out the Gallery...I don't think about that and Conversations much because many years ago there wasn't a lot of activity there, but I see that has changed. And, you are absolutely correct about Sharon's tips...I looked at a few of them and know they will help me.

Again, thanks to everyone for your help and I promise some day you will see a food pic from me...it may only be a mouth watering ear of sweet corn or BLT (my current diet), but you'll see something someday.

Janet

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 7:19PM
foodonastump

I know people would (rightfully) laugh if I gave photography advice, but I will share one prerequisite for my next camera: No proprietary cables which cost a fortune to replace or whose aftermarket counterparts don't work reliably. Made that expensive mistake once and that was enough.

Mini-USB please, better yet wireless. Unless someone has something else fairly universal to recommend. Even the "iStuff" lightning cable seems fussy, although it would power several of this household's gadgets. (We're currently down to our last working one, and I'm sure our fighting over it is not helping its life expectancy!)

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 8:33PM
foodonastump

p.s. Arley - I think your bow needs to go back to Dr Suess for a rehairing. ;-)

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 8:34PM
dcarch7

"-----Unless someone has something else fairly universal to recommend. ----"

You can get a tiny USB adapter to plug in the camera's plug.

When you need to download pictures, just plug into the adapter and leave the adapter in the camera.

This way you don't wear out the camera's plug, which can be very expensive to replace.

Also, try not to use the camera's flash. The flash bulb has limited life as to how many flashes it can produce. If it expires, it may cost you.

dcarch

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 9:11PM
carolb_w_fl

Hi - Nikon Coolpix P7000 is a great camera - I got a refurbished 1 for less than $100. It has tons of features, but it also has a fantastic automatic setting that takes incredible photos w/ no fuss.

It came w/ 2 rechargeable batteries & 2 chargers + a cable, but I never use the cable, I simply take out the memory card & plug that into my computer. & if your computer does not have a card slot, you can get a USB card reader for less than a dollar @ more than few websites.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 9:24PM
dcarch7

"-----I simply take out the memory card & plug that into my computer. ----"

I am not sure i would do that. If you look at the card, there are many many tiny tiny contacts, and inside the camera, there are matching many many contacts as well. they are coated with a very thin layer of gold to prevent rust. If you plug/unplug regularly, the contacts can be worn. If one of the contacts is not connecting, the camera is no good anymore.

dcarch

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
More Sourdough Discard & Baker's Kaffeeklatsch
We left off at Troisième I haven't had time and...
plllog
How to fix rock hard espresso powder? :p
I am VERY careful about trying to keep powders dry...
party_music50
Food for sore mouths..
I just had a tooth extracted - and I have a very sore...
agmss15
What can I make to go with..
Dh has a potluck on Friday. I am making red lentil...
tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
Half Ham (bone-in)
Which is best, shank or butt. If the package doesn't...
ryseryse_2004
Sponsored Products
Ciro Chrome Mini Pendant with Goldleaf Glass and 4-Inch Canopy
$320.25 | Bellacor
Designers Fountain Posts Chambery Outdoor Oil Rubbed Bronze Post Lantern HC0320
Home Depot
Contemporary Table Beside Lamps with Tripod Wooden Stand and Brown Linen Shade
ParrotUncle
Ambella Home Collection - Voranado Scrolling Console Table -...
Great Furniture Deal
Artemis Faux-Bois Bench
$995.00 | Horchow
Green Kid's Beanbag Chair
$109.99 | zulily
Pre-Lit Berrywood Pine 7-foot Artificial Christmas Tree
Overstock.com
14 Series Seven Pendant Chandelier by Bocci
$2,450.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™