Doctor says I've beaten the record

marie26August 21, 2008

I went for my annual this week to a new doctor and he said that I'm the oldest woman he's seen who still gets her period. I'm a few months over 57 and am now getting them every 3 months. His previous oldest patient was 56. Considering this doctor is not young and has been practicing for many years, it makes me wonder how rare this really is.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marie26

The results from the blood test came back and I'm definitely post menopausal. The number was 83 and a post menopause is in the 30's. He's sending me for an ultrasound and said maybe a D&C would help.

Bookmark   August 21, 2008 at 10:02PM
jennava19

Marie, i turned 58 in April of this year, and i am STILL having (fairly regular) PERIODS! Last year my doc said i was "at the end of the bell curve", and was amazed that i was still going..... .like the energizer bunny i guess.....i thought this would be over years and years ago. so i feel your pain!

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 6:25PM
marie26

Jennava, my birthday is also in April on the 6th. When is yours?

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 8:06PM
dilly_dally

I don't mean to pry into anyone's private business but I do know that women who continue to take birth control pills will continue to get monthly bleeding. You may have stopped ovulating though.

Bookmark   August 28, 2008 at 2:10AM
marie26

I had my tubes tied over 25 years ago. So it's not that.

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 8:22PM
jennava19

Marie, the 19th

Bookmark   August 31, 2008 at 4:54PM
jennava19

Hey maybe it is an "Aries woman" thing? And i had my tubes tied nearly 29 years ago.......

Bookmark   August 31, 2008 at 5:06PM
marie26

Mine's on the 6th. I was wondering if it was a "birthday" thing.

Bookmark   September 1, 2008 at 12:36PM
dilly_dally

Marie26, Birth control pills are hormonal steroids and are not only prescribed for family planning. They can treat acne, regulate menstrual flow in women who suffer excessive bleeding, balance androgens causing excessive follicular growth, help treat endometriosis, even control mood swings, lots of things.

In the old days before BC pills were packaged in calendar packs women were prescribed these pills all the time for menstrual irregularities and acne and sometimes did not even realize what they were taking. These were the days before package inserts were required to be given to patients and it was unheard of to question a doctor about medication.

There is an interesting history of Enovid on the internet if you Google it.

Anyway, it was just a thought I had to the possibility of monthly bleeding at such a late age. I do not mean to pry or question anyone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Enovid

Bookmark   September 1, 2008 at 2:48PM
western_pa_luann

I am 53 and a regular as ever... every month!
No BC pills here....

Bookmark   September 1, 2008 at 7:59PM
debraq

I am 52 and still get regular periods, though I do experience flooding each time which is really scary.
I have had most other symptoms, some have come and gone, though some still remain.
Its hard to tell what is what as i am also a chronic pain sufferer, with Fibromyalgia, Spondylolisthesis, Neuropathic Pain, tendinitis, plus a few other syndromes, diseases, conditions. Gee Whiz, I though Menopause would be easy compared to what I have been going through for the past 14 years but its not!
So glad I found this page. You are so helpful and open, thanks to all of you ladies.

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 8:36AM
jennava19

debraq... i have fibromyalgia too, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and arthritis.... and on and on. all these things seem to just intensify the symptoms of menopause. gettin' old ain't for sissies!

Bookmark   September 21, 2008 at 5:28PM
More Discussions
All the symptoms I've experienced!!!!!
Well Ladies, Where do I begin to tell you of all the...
pudd
Cramping, but no periods
I'm just wondering if this is a common part of entering...
dee_can1
help me interpret the FSH numbers?
i just received my FSH results back (and though i realize...
llmoyer123
Anyon experience this? Age 53 - very heavy bleeding
I am 53 and had my last "full" period about...
wifetojoeiii
premenstrual nausea when perimenopausal?
Well, I've gone from having no PMS symptoms at all,...
tanama
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™