Zucchini-Pineapple

katefisherAugust 27, 2012

Thinking about utilizing some of our zucchini bounty by trying this recipe. Seems like a neat way to use up some squash. Wondering if some of you have tried this and what your impressions were and if you have ever gone rogue and substituted crookneck for the zucchini:)

Thank you.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Zucchini-Pineapple canning recipe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caliloo

No, I've never tried that, but I love pineapple and think it sounds interesting. That said, a friend with a huge bounty of zucchini asked if I had any zucchini cookie recipes, and when I saw the title of the thread, I though "Hmmmmm might be interesting to add a little drained crushed pineapple" to the cookie recipe I am working on... thanks for the inspiration!

Alexa

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 3:20PM
ci_lantro

I tried one of those recipes a long, long time ago. Was not impressed; didn't have much of/ enough of a pineapple flavor to suit me. Maybe if there was some way to amp up the p'apple flavor with a very good extract. Or reduce the juice some to concentrate the flavor...or maybe use some frozen concentrate...

Anyway, if you try the recipe, I would love to know how it turns out for you.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 3:56PM
KatieC

I used to make this mock pineapple back when I thought you had to plant the whole packet of seed, lol. I ground it in my old hand-crank meat grinder using the coarse blade and it felt like crushed pineapple in your mouth. If you ate a spoonful plain you'd know it wasn't the real stuff, but it was great in breads. I added pineapple extract to the U of GA recipe...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Zucchini Mock Pineapple

Recipe By : adapted from So Easy to Preserve
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Extension Recipes, Preserving

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 quarts shredded or cubed zucchini -- * see note
46 oz can unsweetened pineapple juice
1 1/2 cups bottled lemon juice
3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons pineapple extract

Mix ingredients (except pineapple extract) and bring to a boil. Simmer 20 minutes. Stir in extract. Fill hot jars with hot mixture and cooking liquid, leaving 1/2" headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rims. Adjust lids. Process in a boiling water bath; pints and half-pints for 15 minutes, 20 min. above 1000 ft., 25 min. above 6000 ft.).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Katie's notes: I use the coarse blade on my old hand crank meat grinder. It gives the most crushed-pineapple-like texture. A food processor also works, but the pieces come out sharper.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 8:58PM
More Discussions
Kitchen Gadget Over-the-Top?
Drinking Straw Cleaner? I don't think so but checking...
mustangs81
Once it was so easy..............................
To find whatever one wanted quickly. Now everything...
Robert Givens
BISCUITS
Just made these biscuits, but felt they weren't worth...
Robert Givens
Big Weekend Ahead
Hi everyone, I'll be making Crab Stuffed Mushrooms...
moonwolf_gw
What's For Dinner #337
Annie, you and Elery are doing a wonderful job on the...
ann_t
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™