Hot flashes - not sure

elizabeth_craigJune 28, 2006

I know this must sound stupid, but what does a hot flash feel like. I am 53 and have just begun to get erratic periods. The last couple of days, I have been sweating profusely and then returning to normal. Its very humid in southern Ontario right now, so I don't know if its the weather or a hot flash.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Heathen1

Well, I'd bet it's a hot flash... I figured it out when I was sweating and it was 70º( my summers are in the 100's). I only sweat from the shoulders up. Regular sweating usually includes my armpits. Hot flashing for ME is profuse sweating around the head. I have never had this "flushing" that some people get, I just get the profuse sweating.

Bookmark   June 28, 2006 at 8:48PM
mscratch

No questions are stupid.. the hot flash usually produces a very warm sensation in the head area.. and sweat follows..not always but most times..you may just experience an unnatural warmness without the sweat at times. It may start at the head and travel downwards through the entire body..its different with each individual.. this can be followed by chills as well, sort of a cooling off period..so basically you can switch from hot to cold in no time at all.

Bookmark   June 29, 2006 at 8:30AM
elizabeth_craig

Thanks Ladies for your responses. I am now sure that I am having hot flashes. My face, back of my neck, and scalp get a hot wierd feeling under the skin, which lasts for 15 seconds or so, and then the profuse sweating begins and lasts a little bit longer. I am experiencing this about 10 to 15 times a day. From what I have read in other's messages, this is not too bad. If this is what I have to endure, its tolerable.....for now.

Bookmark   July 4, 2006 at 6:49AM
cheerful1_gw

I'm trying to look at a bright side to hot flashes - maybe they speed up your metabolism!

Bookmark   July 11, 2006 at 3:37PM
Heathen1

they do? don't tease me like this! :D

Bookmark   July 11, 2006 at 6:37PM
elizabeth_craig

A speedy metabolism, now wouldn't that be a bonus. You would think that all the heat produced would burn up at least some fat. Its too bad it doesn't work that way...I'm thinking I could be down 10lbs by next Tuesday. I bet if this was a 'guy' thing, they would get a great side effect.

Bookmark   July 12, 2006 at 6:44AM
cheerful1_gw

If hot flashes were a "guy thing", they'd find a way to cure it, really quick.

Bookmark   July 12, 2006 at 6:48AM
More Discussions
spotting after menopause
Hi, 53 1/2 yrs old, started spotting this week. Had...
clyo
Hydration cubes
Has anyone tried the Bezwecken hydration cubes that...
texasone
Advice on HRT
I am 53, I have not had a period in about 2 years....
gigim
Anyone got relief for palpitations?
Hi everyone. I'm 52 and I've been going thru menopause...
grandmapoo
Anyon experience this? Age 53 - very heavy bleeding
I am 53 and had my last "full" period about...
wifetojoeiii
Sponsored Products
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Surya Rugs Aimee Wilder Quince Yellow 5 ft. x 8
Home Depot
Filament Design Posts Providence 3 Head 87 in. Outdoor Morroccan Gold Light
Home Depot
Justice Design Group GLA-8922 - Modular 2 Light Bath Bar - Cylinder with Rippled
$320.00 | Hayneedle
Filament Design Pendants & Hanging Fixtures Providence 3-Light Outdoor Black
Home Depot
Hot Pink Zebra Personalized Duvet Set
$129.99 | zulily
DENY Designs Khristian A Howell Wanderlust Shower Curtain - 13032-SHOCUR
$89.00 | Hayneedle
Gold Circle Elliot Rug
$34.99 | zulily
Inca Mirror
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™