Vaginal Atrophy

Nikki.LestatJune 27, 2012

Hi all - I was told I have vaginal atrophy over a year ago. I would like to do something for it, but I am hesitant to see another doctor because the last one was indignant, arrogant, and insulting; and ended by telling me it was my own fault (I was celibate for many years prior). I now have an awesome life partner, unfortunately sex is horribly painful. I have also developed a nasty greenish discharge that is worrisome. Are there any homeopathic remedies for this problem I can try? Thanks for reading :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sdale1

Nikki,
Get a different GYN who has interest in menopause. I have had success using multiple remedies. (1) vaginal lube without glycerin; (2) low dose hormone replacement (0.3 mg estrogen/1.5 mg progesterone) (3) Estring which releases local estrogen into vaginal tissues. It is inserted vaginally and left for 3 months.
I have had great improvement, but it is expensive bc of the cost of the medications. Additionally, hormone replacement is not without risk, but I take a low dose. The Estring took several months to get the maximum improvement with the Estring...so be patient.

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 9:03AM
betsyhac

sdale1:
Had you gone w/o for a long time prior to starting your remedies? And how long did it take for the remedies to work?
Thx,
Betsy

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 12:47PM
flablonde

I have had vaginal atrophy for several years and it is so painful that I stopped having intercourse. Not a big problem since I am single but it is a problem because I would still like to be sexual but it's difficult to explain to someone you date the reason you don't want to have intercourse. Men just think you can add a little lube and it will be fine, but that doesn't work for me. I had breast cancer at age 40 and the chemo and other estrogen blocking meds put me into early menopause . My doctor prescribed me some vaginal suppositories but they cost $300.00 for a thirty day supply. I'm looking for other options and suggestions.

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 2:57PM
MILfromHeck

Hi flablonde. I had the same problem, and Replens and vaginal dilators helped me a lot. I'm also using Femring, but that is pretty expensive. Without insurance I'd be paying $300 for three months, so about $100 a month. Thank heaven I have insurance.

Anyway, I went into more detail in a previous post, linked below.

I wish you luck; this isn't fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vaginal Atrophy Strategies

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 6:29PM
More Discussions
how long do you have hot flashes and night sweats
I have gone almost two years without a period. The...
azdeb
spotting after menopause
Hi, 53 1/2 yrs old, started spotting this week. Had...
clyo
severe vaginal atrophy
I hope someone can give me some good advice. I have...
coco2008
Very long menstrual period
Hello, I've been worrying for the past few days, can't...
Mtn_Girl
Advice on HRT
I am 53, I have not had a period in about 2 years....
gigim
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™