Vaginal Atrophy

Nikki.LestatJune 27, 2012

Hi all - I was told I have vaginal atrophy over a year ago. I would like to do something for it, but I am hesitant to see another doctor because the last one was indignant, arrogant, and insulting; and ended by telling me it was my own fault (I was celibate for many years prior). I now have an awesome life partner, unfortunately sex is horribly painful. I have also developed a nasty greenish discharge that is worrisome. Are there any homeopathic remedies for this problem I can try? Thanks for reading :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Get a different GYN who has interest in menopause. I have had success using multiple remedies. (1) vaginal lube without glycerin; (2) low dose hormone replacement (0.3 mg estrogen/1.5 mg progesterone) (3) Estring which releases local estrogen into vaginal tissues. It is inserted vaginally and left for 3 months.
I have had great improvement, but it is expensive bc of the cost of the medications. Additionally, hormone replacement is not without risk, but I take a low dose. The Estring took several months to get the maximum improvement with the be patient.

    Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 9:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Had you gone w/o for a long time prior to starting your remedies? And how long did it take for the remedies to work?

    Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 12:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I have had vaginal atrophy for several years and it is so painful that I stopped having intercourse. Not a big problem since I am single but it is a problem because I would still like to be sexual but it's difficult to explain to someone you date the reason you don't want to have intercourse. Men just think you can add a little lube and it will be fine, but that doesn't work for me. I had breast cancer at age 40 and the chemo and other estrogen blocking meds put me into early menopause . My doctor prescribed me some vaginal suppositories but they cost $300.00 for a thirty day supply. I'm looking for other options and suggestions.

    Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 2:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hi flablonde. I had the same problem, and Replens and vaginal dilators helped me a lot. I'm also using Femring, but that is pretty expensive. Without insurance I'd be paying $300 for three months, so about $100 a month. Thank heaven I have insurance.

Anyway, I went into more detail in a previous post, linked below.

I wish you luck; this isn't fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vaginal Atrophy Strategies

    Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 6:29PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
premenstrual nausea when perimenopausal?
Well, I've gone from having no PMS symptoms at all,...
Hydration cubes
Has anyone tried the Bezwecken hydration cubes that...
Does anyone peri have this weird head feeling?
I am 44. I have the regular peri symptoms; hot flashes,...
dental woes and menopause
After reading some of the posts here, I feel I can...
Very long menstrual period
Hello, I've been worrying for the past few days, can't...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™