Is this Perimenopause?

cheerful1_gwApril 25, 2005

My periods went from being regular (every 4 weeks) to every 3 weeks; one didn't come until 6 weeks later, and the one after that was 2 weeks later. I'm tired a lot, sometimes cranky; today I feel down. I'm getting recurring sinus and urinary infections. I'm 2 weeks away from my 50th birthday, which I'm not looking forward to. Can anyone relate? Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catherinet

It sounds like it to me. But I would be sure to keep up with your OB/GYN visits, to be sure nothing else is going on. Sometimes, if your thyroid is low, you can have similar symptoms (also if it's high!).
But being almost 50, I'd say you're a prime candidate. My major symptoms at first, when I was 48 were fatigue, sinus infections, depression, and irregular periods, with increased bleeding. It's amazing how many women I've talked to who have intense fatigue during this time. Good luck to you.

Bookmark   April 28, 2005 at 8:47AM
cheerful1_gw

My OB/GYN prescribed some bloodwork for me, which I did yesterday (blood count, thyroid and FSH). I will hopefully get the results tomorrow. I'm so tired of being tired, and anxious, and irregular. At the risk of sounding like a hypocondriac, I hope something shows up so I can get treatment and relief.

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 9:45AM
cheerful1_gw

Catherine, got my bloodwork back. Blood count and thyroid are fine, but my FSH and LH readings say I'm in menopause! I'm in total shock since I still get periods. My GYN will presribe something for me if my symptoms interfere with my everyday life. I'm going to delay taking prescriptions for as long as possible. I was hoping there was something herbal or natural I could try.

Bookmark   August 18, 2005 at 1:45PM
More Discussions
Advice on HRT
I am 53, I have not had a period in about 2 years....
gigim
Cramping, but no periods
I'm just wondering if this is a common part of entering...
dee_can1
All the symptoms I've experienced!!!!!
Well Ladies, Where do I begin to tell you of all the...
pudd
Need to hear from woman past meno
Hello Everyone, I am 58 and had my lat period at 52...
grule
dental woes and menopause
After reading some of the posts here, I feel I can...
janeinspace
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™