Help for migraines, please

cmreadMarch 21, 2012

A couple of weeks ago I began having severe hot flashes, night sweats, chills, and waking up to go pee about every other hour, and I was already having migraines but now I have them about every other day. A few days ago I began using black cohosh extract, and evening primrose oil along with some other homeopathic meds for sleep, nerves, and hot flashes, but nothing has helped with the migraines. Can someone please tell me something I can use for the migraines, I know it is caused by a hormonal imbalance, but since I am fairly new to this menopause thing, I thought there may be some ladies here that could give me some advice. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl

I have a friend who has severe migraines. Besides prescription medications, she's tried many alternative therapies. Finally she hit the jackpot and found one that worked for her - it's progesterone cream.

She rubs the cream on her forehead when she can sense a headache coming on. She waits 20 minutes, and re-applies.

Below is a site with numerous related articles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Migraines and progesterone cream

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 4:17PM
mary_md7

I believe in better living through chemials. Fiorinal. Really.

My migraines dropped dramatically in frequency after menopause. Before that, I got one just before nearly every period. Now they are down to three or four a year at most. Fiorinal works great for me.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 1:16PM
mphymel

Don't mean to lurk on you ladies, but yes I am a man, my wife has to endure these migraines, with the nausea that comes with it.

She is already cursed with headaches if she doesn't eat regularly, so the migraine and nausea combine to perpetuate the migraine, which perpetuates the nausea. I am sure many of you don't need me to explain that, having suffered it yourselves.

Her doctor suggested that she may be experiencing an iron deficiency which may be triggering the migraines. She takes a prescription supplement, but she must take it early enough, and it upsets her stomach too.

Just wanted to point out the iron deficiency issue, hoping that it might help some of you, and that perhaps some of you ladies may have suggestions that may help her out.

Also, I'd like to point out that we discovered, that eyedrops like viseen, reduce redness by constricting blood vessels. Administered as it is through the eyes, puts the active ingredient into the bloodstream quickly, which caused constriction in the bloodvessels in the brain, leading to headaches and in some cases migraines.

Perhaps this bit of information will proove useful to some of you.

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 9:47AM
buyorsell888

I have to take Zomig (Zolmitriptan) for mine. I cannot function otherwise and no other remedy ever worked. I get them monthly, when I skip meals, don't drink enough, compute too long, drive too long, when I drink booze, when I travel, for no apparent reason. I have them all the time and worse every year I get older. I've tried Topomax to reduce the frequency but could not tolerate it. I'm on a betablocker for high blood pressure, off birth control pills but still get them all the time.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 9:36PM
More Discussions
Complete identity crisis with my body
Hi Ladies, I am now 58. Had my last period at 52 1/2....
garule
Is this temporary or is my life effectively over?
I am 51 years old and I haven�t had a period...
Bubbbles
7 days short of a year without a period then BAM!
Bottle of wine has been waiting for 11/7 to celebrate...
Amy-from-Westport
Need to hear from woman past meno
Hello Everyone, I am 58 and had my lat period at 52...
garule
Anyone got relief for palpitations?
Hi everyone. I'm 52 and I've been going thru menopause...
grandmapoo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™