48 and off the pill after 6 years

lovingflaMarch 2, 2012

I am 48 years old and have been taking loestrin 24 fe for 6 years. I have been off the pill for 3 months and still have not had my period. anyone have the same problem? could it be that I am at that age that i am starting menapause? I didn't get my period when I was on the pill so it may be that my body is totally out of wack. I still have an active sex life so I still need birth control but refuse to go back on the pill. Can't wait until I don't have to worry about pregnancy anymore! :) any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agnespuffin

Check with your doctor. He is better able than we are to check on the state of your ovaries.

And yes, you could be well into menopause. The loestrin may have been keeping things artificially "normal"

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 10:37AM
jannie

There's a blood test available to tell if you're in menopause or not. it's called "FSH", follicle stimulating hormone. Discuss this with your doctor. I was on birth control pills from age 21 to 48 continuously, except for three pregnancies. From 48 to 53 I still got periods, though they were irregular, and I used a diaphragm. My periods stopped in 2007 but I still get hot flashes almost daily. Again, discuss this with your doctor. I went to a female Nurse Practitioner, with whom I was very comfortable.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 8:53AM
doey47

I am so glad to find information on this subject! I am 47, and just recently went off the pill. I started at 20 and was only off long enough to have my 2 children. i had no problems with the pill and had short easy periods all those years. i just went off and was expecting to get my period like any other month. its a about a week past when i thought i should get it. i had long days of cramping for about 3 or 4 days so thought here it comes,but no bleeding. now that i've read all the comments from woman around 50, i'm thinking, wow, could i possibly not get periods anymore? i'd be fine with that. but a woman my age still worries about getting pregnant ,so condoms are a must! my kids are 23 and 21, they don't need any baby siblings! i have woken up middle of the night, the last couple weeks experiencing what i think may be the start of light hot flashes. my lower back has been aching quite a bit, but thought it was the darn shoes i bought, maybe not! after reading all the helpful discussions, i'm so glad to know i'm not alone out here.

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 9:19PM
More Discussions
dental woes and menopause
After reading some of the posts here, I feel I can...
janeinspace
Cramping, but no periods
I'm just wondering if this is a common part of entering...
dee_can1
Advice on HRT
I am 53, I have not had a period in about 2 years....
gigim
Peri-menopause ???
Hi - I'm new here so sorry if this question has been...
Trikki
Anyon experience this? Age 53 - very heavy bleeding
I am 53 and had my last "full" period about...
wifetojoeiii
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™